Confession # 13- I ate more of this than I should have.
It was just that good.
Between daylight savings and a baby with an ear infection (but hooray for tubes today!), this momma is tired. No, exhausted. And all I want to do is curl up with a bowl of something warm and comforting for dinner.
This dish is exactly that. But packed with protein, veggies and some extra hidden veggies, I can indulge and stick to the plan.
Quinoa Taco Bake
1 GREEN 1 RED 1 YELLOW 1 BLUE
2 2/3 cups of lean ground turkey
2 1/2 cups of diced onion, tomato and peppers **you can use premade fresh salsa or a can of Rotelle
1/2 cup of tomato sauce (use homemade to count as a GREEN!)
1 cup of shredded zucchini
2 cups of cooked quinoa
1 cup of shredded cheese
3 cloves of garlic diced
1/3 cup of avocado
1 T of chili powder
2 tsp of cumin
**have a spare yellow? Add in one yellow of corn or black beans!
1. Pre-heat oven to 350. Sauté the garlic and turkey until the meat is no longer pink. Add spices and tomato mixture and simmer for few minutes.
2. Next, add in the secret shredded zucchini. Again- simmer together for two minutes or so.
3. Add cooked quinoa and sauce.
4. Spray a casserole pan with cooking spray and add meat and quinoa mixture. Top with cheese and fresh cilantro.
5. Bake at 350 until the cheese is bubbly awesome. Portion into 4 servings and top with avocado.