Buffalo chicken chili has everything you love about Buffalo chicken wings, without the sticky fingers! This ground chicken chili has some spicy heat, but it’s cooled down with Greek yogurt and blue cheese crumbles. Even better news is that it is a 21 Day Fix approved recipe!
Confession #37 – I have a major weakness for chicken wings. And blue cheese. Oh how I love a good blue cheese dressing.
In college, I worked happy hour Fridays at our local bar and made wings in the basement with the owner’s wife.
There was a lot of sampling going on in that kitchen. A 20 year-old’s metabolism is a beautiful thing.
So, now, since I know how much sugar, butter, and oil go into making chicken wings, I have found other ways to get my fix. Like in this Buffalo Chicken Chili one-pot meal. It’s a great way to get the flavor of your favorite wings without the extra calories and unhealthy fat.
This recipe is adapted from The Today Show’s Joy Fit Club. The original recipe is pretty healthy, but it calls for tomato or vegetable juice which often has added sugar. It also calls for white flour, which I have tried to do without while on the fix. My version was just as yummy, but I used diced tomatoes instead and nixed the flour.
A total winner; both my husband and my one year old gobbled it up.
It’s a good thing that they saved some Buffalo chicken chili for me.
Ground chicken chili with all of the flavor of Buffalo chicken wings, in a 21 Day Fix approved recipe.
- 1 cup of carrots, peeled and sliced into half-moons
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 of an onion, diced
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of lean ground chicken
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup of blue cheese crumbles
- cooking spray
- Coat a large pot or Dutch oven with cooking spray, and preheat it over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion; saute until tender (about ten minutes.) If necessary, add a tablespoon or two of water to prevent scorching.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the ground chicken, reapplying cooking spray if necessary. Sauté, stirring continuously and breaking the chicken into small pieces, for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Pour tomatoes in a blender and pulse a few times so the texture is more like a chunky tomato juice. Measure out 2 cups of the tomatoes and combine with hot sauce and chili powder to taste. Stir mixture into chicken and veggies. If you need more tomatoes or seasoning, add it little by little. The chili will thicken a bit once cooked. Freeze extra tomatoes - you can use it in veggie soup!
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the blue cheese crumbles with the Greek yogurt for the topping.
- This serves 3 to 4 people (depending on the amount of meat), so ladle equally into bowls and top with blue cheese yogurt and chives.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Serves 3 to 4 people (depending on the amount of meat) - My bowl = 1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1/3 BLUE
I ❤️ hearing from you, so keep those comments coming!
Are you doing a round of the 21 Day Fix? Don’t do it alone – let me coach you! Contact me at trueconfessionsofafitfoodie AT gmail DOT com to join my current challenge group. The group offers daily motivation, recipe ideas, and the support of over 200 women. Check out my Etsy Shop for 21 Day Fix eBooks with full grocery lists, prep tips, and easy to follow recipes!