Healthy shepherd’s pie. Yes, there is such a thing! Lean turkey and vegetables, simmered in a rich gravy and topped with cauliflower mashed “potatoes”. It’s a 21 Day fix dinner to love!
Confession #60 – I consider this one of my biggest wins to date.
Regular readers of my blog know that my husband isn’t the easiest guy to “fool” with my fixed recipes.
Like the time I made faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower and thought they were delicious.
No. They taste healthy, he reminded me as he made a face.
Whatever. More for me.
Anyway, I have been dying to make a healthy shepherd’s pie dinner for us now that Fall is in full effect. Plus it’s one of my husband’s favorite meals.
I knew I could easily fix the meat part, but could I make a healthier mashed topping that tasted great? Straight cauliflower was obviously out. And so, like the good wife I am, I decided to compromise with my husband and use both cauliflower and mashed potatoes in the topping instead of going for just straight cauliflower.
And then I lied about it.
I waited until he gobbled up more than half of the pie and declared it “Thanksgiving on a Plate” before I broke the news to him.
I’ll tell you one thing – hearing about the secret cauliflower didn’t stop him from loving another helping. This was damn good.
And so, another win for me! But who’s counting?
Oh – that’s right. I am.
Enjoy this 21 Day Fix, healthy shepherd’s pie recipe!
This healthy comfort food dinner is just as hearty and satisfying as traditional shepherd's pie. Made with lean turkey and mashed cauliflower "potatoes", this dinner is 21 Day Fix approved!
- olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of Himalayan salt
- 3 T of tomato paste
- 1 lb organic lean ground turkey
- 2 cups of chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups of red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 T of vegan butter, olive oil, or ghee
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, then add in cauliflower. Boil for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, spray pan with cooking spray and cook veggies on low for 10 minutes or until they begin to soften, adding a few tablespoons of water to help them steam, if necessary.
- Add in turkey and cook through.
- Stir in chicken broth, 1/2 tsp of salt and tomato paste and continue to cook until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- When potatoes and cauliflower are finished, drain them well, then place in a food processor or mixer. Add in 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 T of olive oil, ghee or vegan butter and mix. If necessary, add in a tablespoon or two of chicken broth.
- Spray pie pan with cooking spray and fill first with the meat mixture, then with the potato/cauliflower mix. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Each one counts as - 1 YELLOW, 1 GREEN, 1 RED and 1 1/2 tsp
Are you doing a round of the 21 Day Fix? Don’t do it alone – let me coach you! Contact me at trueconfessionsofafitfoodie AT gmail DOT com to join my current challenge group for daily motivation, recipe ideas, and the support of over 200 women. Check out my Etsy Shop for 21 Day Fix eBooks with full grocery lists, prep tips, and easy to follow recipes!