Confession #71 – I get the BEST recipe ideas from my challenge groups. For real.
I find myself neglecting Pinterest lately because the women in my group are constantly sharing meal ideas and taking pics of their dinners. My list of future blog posts is growing faster than I can cook!
It’s a foodie’s dream come true, actually.
And I’m pretty sure I never would have tried this recipe if I didn’t see something similar posted last month by a fellow challenger.
I have never made stuffed cabbage, but loved the idea of unstuffed cabbage casserole…somehow, though, while I was making it, I decided to make it a SOUP instead. Might have something to do with the crazy cold weather we are having here in PA.
Anyway, we LOVE soup in my family and this one is both dairy free and gluten free…which means my son can eat it as well. And eat it he did – cabbage and all.
I did add some shredded Monterey Jack on mine which was freaking delicious. Poor guy – thank goodness he doesn’t know what he is missing.
Not only is this soup yummy, it’s quick, easy and perfect for a busy weeknight! Give it a try!
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- 1 lb grass fed lean sirloin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 large or 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups low sodium organic chicken broth or stock
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh basil
- shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese (optional topping)
- In a large soup pan, brown beef on medium high heat. Stir in chopped onions and cook until onions are translucent and beef is cooked through. Drain and discard fat.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and dried spices and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for 30 minutes. Simmer until cabbage is tender.
- Garnish with fresh basil and top with cheese, if desired! (DO IT, DO IT!)
21 Day Fix Container Count:
1 RED, 2 GREEN, Optional BLUE topping (I used 1/2 BLUE)