Confession #88 – I’ve been struggling on what to call this dish. To me, it’s a cross between Mac and Cheese and Hamburger Helper.
Except I’ve never had Hamburger Helper. And there is no “mac” with this cheese.
I’m not trying to be a food snob here when I say I’ve never had Hamburger Helper. I grew up in a house where my mom made everything herself – no boxed Kraft Mac and Cheese, no Chef Boyardee.
And the truth? I always wanted it.
Until I tasted Spaghetti-Os.
What a disappointment. You were right mom. You can say I told you so. Because you did. So. Many. Times.
Anyway, because I never tasted Hamburger Helper, I apologize if my description of this dish is off. But I promise you – it’s delicious regardless. And if you are a lover of cheese, you have to try it!
Just look at all of that cheesy goodness! And it is chock full of veggies, so you can have a huge helping of this dish without going over your containers.
While this recipe was born out of total curiosity, I think it has also given me just what I need for a FIX approved Mac and Cheese recipe! Stay tuned for that one.
Until then, enjoy this cauliflower creation…it’s a new favorite in our house!
Serving Size: 1/4 of casserole dish
- 1 lb lean grass fed ground beef
- 4 cups of cauliflower florets
- 4 tsp of rice flour (or flour of your choice)
- 4 tsp vegan butter or ghee
- 1 cup of unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (use Daiya for dairy free!)
- Himalayan salt
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and preheat your oven to 350.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef until fully cooked. Drain any excess fat and place meat into the casserole dish. Wipe out your skillet
- While you are cooking the beef, steam the cauliflower for about 6-8 minutes, or until tender on the outside but still crisp in the middle.
- In your skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk together.
- Slowly whisk in the almond milk, and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Once thickened, remove sauce from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese until fully melted, adding salt to taste.
- Combine beef, cauliflower, and cheese sauce in the casserole dish and mix well. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
makes 4 servings, 1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1 BLUE, 1 tsp each