I feel lucky to have so many local farm stands selling strawberries right now. We usually go picking during this time of year, but I haven’t had a chance yet. Either way, it seems like almost daily that we are stopping on the side of the road for some fresh berries. We can’t get enough!
And so I made this salad last week and really wasn’t sure my husband was going to dig it…but I love anything caprese, so selfishly I made it anyway. Lucky for me, he thought it was pretty tasty. We both devoured it, sipping some wine along with. It couldn’t be more simple to make, but yet it is different enough to make a weeknight feel more special.
My kids aren’t balsamic fans, so they just ate the chicken and berries, which I’m ok with.
You could easily swap the fresh mozzarella with feta or goat cheese! Both would be delicious. And if you have some extra blue, throw in some avocado, too. YUM!
Serving Size: 1 salad
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to uniform thickness
- 1/2 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar
- Report this ad
- 2 cups of diced strawberries
- 2/3 cup of fresh mozzarella, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 cups of baby spinach
- fresh basil
- optional – liquid stevia
- Heat balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until reduced by half. If you want, you can add a couple drops of liquid stevia. Remove and set glaze aside.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill 3-5 minutes on the first side, depending on the thickness of the chicken. Flip chicken and cook through. Remove from heat.
- Divide fresh spinach onto salad plates and top with chicken. Then divide strawberries and mozzarella between the salads. Add some fresh basil and a drizzle of the balsamic glaze.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
makes 4 salads, 1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1/2 BLUE, 1/2 PURPLE each