Confession #98- I have wasted many a Butternut Squash over the years.
I mean, while at the farm stand, it always seemed like a fabulous idea to buy one or even a few.
But then…on the counter it would sit. Like the faux limes I have in my fruit bowl for decoration.
Fear. With a little laziness mixed in. In mean, is it ever a good time to start hacking away at a butternut squash, potentially losing a finger along the way?
But then I discovered the most amazing Butternut Squash Crock Pot hack.
I mean, life changing stuff here.
I shared this for Friday Favorites on my like page last week. If you didn’t catch my post, check it out!
And now that you learned this little tip, you can make this delicious Butternut Squash Soup this week AND keep all your fingers in tact.
My little guy loves a good soup, and since he is dairy free, I used full fat coconut milk instead of cream, and the result was heavenly! And topped with bacon, this soup is also husband approved and the perfect blend of savory and sweet…like a warm cup of Fall.
Thanks to my crock pot hack, this meal can be made in minutes, because you will have the perfect Butternut Squash puree already prepped. All you need to do is saute some bacon, shallots and garlic and do a little blending. We made this on a Friday night with some pizza…an easy and yummy end to the week!
Top with some fresh herbs and your dinner not only tastes great, it looks beautiful, too!
If you give this a try, let me know what you think!
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups of soup
- olive oil cooking spray
- 8 slices of turkey bacon, diced
- ½ cup of chopped shallots (about 2 bulbs)
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
- 3-4 cups of chicken or veggie stock
- 4 cups of butternut squash puree
- 4 tsp olive oil (or 2tsp oil and 2 tsp butter)
- salt (1 tsp)
- 1/3 cup of full fat coconut milk
- fresh herbs of your choice - chives or parsley are good options
- In a large pot or dutch oven, spray cooking oil spray, the saute the turkey bacon until crispy. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add oil to pot (or oil and butter combo) and saute shallots over med-low heat until soft. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add butternut squash puree and 2 cups of stock to pot and, using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Alternately, you can do this step in the blender. Just be careful!
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste, then mix in an additional cup of broth and ? cup of coconut milk. Let soup simmer for ten minutes or longer if you have it. Add more broth to thin out even more, if desired.
- Serve hot with a garnish of bacon bits, fresh herbs, and and an extra drizzle of coconut milk.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Serves 4 - ½ RED, 1 GREEN, ¼ BLUE, 1 tsp per serving