Confession #12 – Snow days rule. That’s not really a confession, is it? I think I love them even more now than when I was a kid, if that’s possible. Spending the day snuggling with my two littles, drinking cocoa, sledding, and watching movies. What could be better?
And then there is snow day food. If there is ever a day that calls for comfort food, it’s a snow day. If your house doesn’t smell like something yummy, you’re just not doing it right.
I have wanted to try this recipe for awhile and make it #21dayfixapproved. And what better day than a snow day for the melty cheesy goodness of lasagna. It took me a bit to get the containers right, but oh was it worth it.
Zucchini Lasagna Boats
3 large zucchinis
3 reds of cooked spicy chicken or turkey sausage
2 reds of cottage cheese
1 egg (1/2 red)
3 blues of mozzarella and parm cheese mixed
homemade pasta sauce (or sugar free jarred) – hit me up if you need a recipe
1. Slice your zucchinis in half and scoop out the centers, creating zucchini boats.
2. Mix the egg, cottage cheese and 1 1/2 blue of the mozz/parm mixture together.
3. Start the layering process. Add the sauce, then the meat, then some of the cottage cheese. Repeat until you can’t fit anything more into those suckers. Be sure to end with sauce.
4. Admire how pretty your work is.
5. Top your boats with the remaining cheese.
6. Bake at 350 for an hour or so. Your cheese should be brown and bubbly and the zucchini nice and tender. See how your house begins to smell like a snow day? Good job.
As far as containers go, I used this recipe to make 6 boats. Each boat was 1 1/2 GREEN, 1 RED, and 1/2 BLUE. Want more cheese? Go for it. Less meat? You got it! Totally customizable.
Husband and 1 year old agreed – this was amazing. Picky 4 year old was her picky self.
Can’t win them all.