Confession #73 – I have become quite spoiled on Sundays.
You see, a few months ago, my mom moved here to PA from New York. And, in addition to all the ways she helps me throughout the week, she recently announced that she would cook dinner on Sundays from now on…if we want her to.
Umm…let me think about that.
Yeah. I think that will be
freaking amazing ok.
And so this blog might very well become her show, because everything she cooks is completely delicious…and most of it is also FIX approved.
She has actually been cooking healthy for years…way before the rest of the world caught on. She shopped at health food stores when I was growing up (pre-Whole Foods!), and I ate organics before it became trendy to do so.
So she fits right in here.
And this week she made us these to die for stuffed mushrooms. And I just knew I had to share. A lightened up version of the ones I grew up eating, but oh-so-tasty and super easy, too! These would make the perfect appetizer or dish for your Easter brunch. Give them a try and let me (us?) know what you think!Print
- 1 pint of whole mushrooms
- 2 links of lean poultry sausage removed from casing (use spicy or mild Italian…or a garlic cheese blend)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of seasoned whole wheat or gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 T shredded Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup of homemade or no-sugar added tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and hollow out to make opening for stuffing.
- Wash stems and mushrooms, then dry using clean kitchen towel.
- Spray a pan with olive oil spray. Chop up mushroom stems and saute them along with the sausage until the meat is cooked through and the mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat.
- Mix garlic, breadcrumbs, cheese and sausage mixture together in a bowl. Using a tablespoon, stuff each mushroom with the sausage/cheese mixture.
- Top with some sauce if desired and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
1/2 GREEN 1/4 RED trace BLUE trace YELLOW
- Serving Size: 2 mushrooms (or more!)
Keywords: appetizer, stuffed mushrooms, meat, sausage, poultry, side, mushrooms, cheese, gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb