Confession #75 – I’m freezing.
The weather here in PA has been nutty. Is it spring where you are? Because we seem to be confused here.
This recipe is pretty awesome, anyway.
And ready in about 20.
Oh – and, of course, it’s FIX approved!
It’s inspired by a recipe from a great blog I found called Budget Bytes. I love how her recipes are healthy, but simple and inexpensive. I have a new blogger crush! Check it out!Print
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 package Italian chicken sausage
- 3 cups of kale
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2/3 shredded mozzarella
- Remove the sausage from the casings into a large skillet coated with cooking spray. Cook the sausage over medium heat until fully brown.
- While the sausage is cooking, remove the stems from the kale, chop it into strips, and add it to the skillet. Stir it into the sausage and continue to cook until it is fully wilted (this happens within a few minutes).
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add the chickpeas to the skillet and stir to combine. Pour the crushed tomatoes over the skillet, along with the spices and cook for 2-3 minutes before topping with cheese.
- Lower the heat to simmer and place a lid on the skillet until the cheese is melted (about 5-10 minutes).
1 GREEN, 1 RED, 1/2 YELLOW, 1/2 BLUE
- Serving Size: 1/4 of skillet
Keywords: dinner, sausage, low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, skillet meal, one skillet