Fresh asparagus and salty Pecarino Romano cheese are paired together in these healthy and delicious baked asparagus patties.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cleaned and with the ends snapped off (hold the top and bottom of your stalk and bend…it will snap off at the right spot!)
- 1/4 cup of good Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of whole wheat or gluten free Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Put some water in a glass pan and lay asparagus in one layer and steam in the oven until very soft, about 15 minutes, depending on the thickness. They should be easily to mash when they are finished.
- Take asparagus out of the oven and increase temp to 375.
- Drain asparagus well and place into a bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Add egg, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Mix well.
- Mix in baking powder.
- Spray or coat a baking sheet with olive oil. I used my EVO sprayer.
- Form asparagus mixture into patties. My mom uses a spoon to scoop mixture and then flatten the patties. This made 6, but you can make smaller ones and have more.
- Bake at 375 for about ten minutes or until the bottom starts to brown. Then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Enjoy! Make sandwiches or eat by themselves. These are also great cold or reheated.
Makes 6 patties, which is 2 servings.
1 serving (3 patties) – 1 GREEN, 1/3 YELLOW, 1/3 BLUE
Keywords: side, vegetables, asparagus, vegetarian, oven, side dish, appetizer