Filled with delicious cheesy goodness and some extra, secret hidden veggies, these 21 Day Fix Italian Stuffed Peppers are a family favorite!
- 4 large green bell peppers, tops, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 lb extra lean grass fed ground beef
- 2 cups homemade or no sugar added tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups of shredded zucchini or zoodles
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash peppers and dry very well with kitchen or paper towel.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onions until meat is cooked through. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the zucchini, 1 cup of the tomato sauce, 2/3 cup of the shredded cheese and simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium low heat. Taste filling and sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spray a square baking dish with olive oil cooking spray and set peppers upright. Fill them with the meat and veggie mixture and top each with remaining tomato sauce. I usually add some sauce to the bottom of the tray, as well. Cover tightly with foil and bake for an hour or refrigerate/freeze until you are ready to bake.
- After an hour, uncover peppers and top with the remaining cheese. Bake an additional 5 -10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy.
Makes 4 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 RED 2 GREEN 1 BLUE (per serving)
WW: Green- 11 points; Blue- 5 points; Purple- 5 points (per serving) [calculated using 95% ground beef and reduced fat cheese]
- Serving Size: 1 pepper
Keywords: stuffed peppers, italian, oven, dinner, gluten-free, beef, grain-free, low-carb