Caprese chicken uses fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, and balsamic vinegar for a taste of summer all year long. Finish with shredded mozzarella and fresh basil for a delicious meal with only one pan to clean up! It’s perfect for a quick weeknight but I love to serve it to guests too- it’s a crowd pleaser!
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Himalayan or sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups of cooked spaghetti squash
- Spray a large skillet with olive oil spray and place on medium heat. Season both sides of your chicken with salt and pepper, then add it to the hot pan. Cook over medium heat until golden and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add the two teaspoons of olive oil to the pan. Add onion and stir for a few minutes or until they begin soften. Next, add garlic and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and let simmer until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in a tablespoon of fresh basil. Return chicken to skillet and nestle in tomatoes. Top evenly with mozzarella and cover with lid to melt cheese.
- Spoon tomatoes and chicken and sauce over spaghetti squash, noodles, or rice and garnish with remaining basil. Yum!
makes 4 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 1/2 GREEN, 1 RED, 1/2 BLUE, 1/2 tsp per serving (for 1/4 of skillet over 1 cup of spaghetti squash. Without the skillet it’s 1/2 GREEN, 1 RED, 1/2 BLUE, 1/2 tsp)
WW Freestyle: 3 points per serving
- Serving Size: 1/4 of skillet over 1 cup of spaghetti squash
Keywords: dinner, italian, chicken, stove top, skillet, gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb