- 1 medium to large spaghetti squash, washed
- 2 tsp olive oil (I used my Tuscan Herb EVOO from The Bodacious Olive)
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 lb organic ground turkey (or ground beef if you would rather!)
- 2 (28 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Crushed red pepper (to taste)
- Salt, Pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese
- Crock Pot directions: Heat olive oil over medium heat and cook the garlic until golden on both sides. Be very careful not to burn it! Remove garlic from the pan and add your turkey. Cook through and season to taste with Italian Seasoning and Crushed Red Pepper. Add garlic and turkey to the crock pot and cover with both cans of crushed tomatoes. Carefully cut your spaghetti squash in half around the middle. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and membranes. Place cut sides down in crock pot. If your cover doesn’t fit over tightly, place some foil under it to ensure the squash can steam. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours. Check on the squash by sticking them with a fork. If it goes in easy, it’s done! Let them cool in a separate bowl for a bit or risk some crazy burns. Remove squash from shell using a fork; discard the shell. Drain in a colander if squash seems watery. You can even use a cheesecloth to strain further. If your sauce is on the thin side because of the squash, cook it uncovered in the crock on HIGH for a bit to thicken it up before serving. Serve squash with sauce from Crock Pot and top with Parmesan.
- Instant Pot Directions: Turn IP to low saute. Add olive oil and cook the garlic until golden on both sides. Be very careful not to burn it! Remove garlic from the IP and add your turkey. Cook through on saute and season to taste with Italian Seasoning and Crushed Red Pepper. Return garlic to pan and cover with both cans of crushed tomatoes. Wash your spaghetti squash and stab it all around with a sharp knife. Place in your Instant Pot on top of sauce. Place cover on IP and turn to manual, high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Switch to quick release after cook time is finished. Remove squash from pot and let cool in a separate bowl for a bit or risk some crazy burns. Cut squash and remove strands from shell using a fork; discard the shell. If your sauce is on the thin side because of the squash, turn it back to saute and cook uncovered in the IP for a bit to thicken it up before serving. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4-6 servings.
My plate was 1 cup of Squash (I also added some spinach for extra GREEN), 1 cup of Sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan. I counted it as 2 GREEN, 2/3 RED, 1/2 BLUE.
Tip – add some ricotta for additional RED. YUM!
WW Freestyle: 2 points per serving
Keywords: dinner, slow cooker, italian, poultry, meat, instant pot, low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, high protein