Summer is here and that calls for the best BBQ Chicken Burgers with Homemade BBQ Sauce. Gluten free and can be made dairy free, you’ll be grilling up these juicy alternatives to traditional hamburgers all summer long. Perfectly seasoned and dripping in deliciously sweet and tangy homemade BBQ sauce, these BBQ Chicken Burgers are perfect for your next backyard get together and can even be made in your Air Fryer!
1 lb ground chicken
¼ cup of BBQ Sauce (recipe below, can sub store bought) + more for serving
1 tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
dash of black pepper (optional)
1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, diced up into small cubes or shredded (omit for dairy free)
Olive oil cooking spray
More BBQ Sauce
Slice of sharp cheddar or cheese of your choice and/or avocado
Lettuce, tomatoes, caramelized onions or red onion
Gluten free or Whole Wheat Bun or lettuce wraps (GF: I like Canyon Bakehouse or Udis)
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup of coconut aminos (can sub low sodium soy sauce if not gluten-free)
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
½ Tbsp yellow mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
sprinkle of sea or Himalayan salt and black pepper
2–3 T of water
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, BBQ sauce, paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Mix until just combined, then form 4 patties. Try to ensure the cheddar chunks are evenly distributed. (Note: The mixture will be wet, but it holds together. It helps to wet your hands before forming the patties.)
- Spray burgers with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Preheat the grill to high. Grill until cooked through, 3-5 minutes on each side. During the last minute of cook time, add a slice of cheese.
- Preheat grill pan/cast iron pan on medium high. Grill until cooked through, 3-5 minutes on each side. During the last minute of cook time, add a slice of cheese.
- Preheat to 380 degrees. Place chicken patties at the bottom of your air fryer (spray bottom of air fryer basket with cooking spray if your basket is sticky) and cook for 16-18 minutes, flipping halfway. During the last minute of cook time, add a slice of cheese.
Makes 4 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1/4 BLUE (increase to 1/2 BLUE if you top with a 1/2 slice of cheese), 1 sweetener tsp (per serving)
WW: Green – 8 points, Blue – 7 points, Purple – 7 points, plus toppings (per serving) [Calculated using 98% chicken, and reduced fat cheese]
Keywords: Chicken Burgers, BBQ Chicken Burgers, Chicken Burgers Recipe