One of my favorite new dinners, these low carb Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats have all the flavor of wings without the unhealthy fat. Perfect for meal prep!
salt, pepper, garlic powder for seasoning
3 large to medium zucchini
1 lb of boneless chicken breast raw or cooked and shredded or diced **see recipe for prep tips
1 cup 2% greek yogurt
1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
2/3 cup of shredded cheddar (I use sharp)
1/2 cup hot sauce (I use Franks), plus more for drizzling
1/3 cup of blue cheese or sub more cheddar, goat cheese, or mozzarella
optional garnish – green onion
- If your chicken is raw, prep this first. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In your Instant Pot – add 1 cup of broth or water and your raw chicken breast. Cook for 15 minutes and do a full natural release. Drain well and shred.
- In your oven- cook chicken breast on 350 for 30 minutes. Let cool and dice.
- On your stovetop – cover chicken with broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes before dicing or shedding and drain well.
- While chicken is cooking, prep your zucchini. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Slice each zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the zucchini flesh to create a boat. Save the flesh and freeze – sneak them into your kids smoothies!
- Line your zucchini onto a baking sheet or in a casserole dish – I like to line mine with parchment paper. Sprinkle zucchini boats with a little salt. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the zucchini starts to get tender. If you find that any moisture is collecting at the bottom of the boats, just blot carefully with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Next, work on the filling. Mix the yogurt, cottage cheese, hot sauce, cheddar cheese, and chicken together.
- Place chicken mixture in zucchini boats, then top with blue cheese or cheese of choice.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the filling gets bubbly, the cheese starts to brown and the zucchini is fork tender. I like to broil for the last minute or so to get the cheese topping extra crispy! Garnish with a drizzle of hot sauce and and some sliced green onion.
21 Day Fix Container Count: 1 Red, 1 Green, 1/2 Blue per Zucchini Half
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points: 3 points per Zucchini Half using low fat cheese and yogurt; 2 points per Zucchini Half if using low fat cheese and fat free yogurt.
- Serving Size: 1 zucchini boat
Keywords: zucchini boats, healthy zucchini recipes, buffalo chicken zucchini boats, healthy buffalo chicken recipes