This is my absolute favorite burger recipe that we make almost weekly and my favorite quick and easy burger sauce! Enjoy a juicy, homemade burger with or without a bun, and pile on all those toppings. I love mine bunless, wrapped in lettuce, with melted cheddar and pickles…oh, and my favorite burger sauce, of course! This burger recipe is gluten-free, keto friendly, 21 Day Fix approved and also loved by my husband (on a bun).
4 T ketchup – look for an organic, naturally sweetened ketchup (if keto, use a no sugar ketchup)
2 T yellow mustard
2 teaspoons mayo
1 1/4 lb lean ground beef – I prefer ground chuck
4 tsp olive oil
coarse kosher or sea salt
dill burger pickles
iceberg or romaine lettuce for wrapping burger, or your favorite gluten free or whole wheat burger bun
sliced cheddar cheese
additional toppings: onions, tomatoes, bacon – whatever you love! I happen to like a more plain burger.
How to make burgers
- Mix ketchup, mustard, and mayo together to make a burger sauce. Set aside.
- Divide ground beef mixture into 4 equal portions. Gently shape into thick burgers without over handling the meat – you just want them to stick together. Also, do not flatten. Instead, use your thumb to press a divot into each burger so they don’t plump up while cooking.
- Put 4 teaspoons of olive oil into a small bowl. Brush oil onto both sides of your burgers, the sprinkle each burger generously with salt.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan on medium high. Cook on a hot cast iron pan or a hot grill 4 minutes per side, flipping only once. Add additional time if you like your burger well done.
- Add cheese of your choice for the last minute of cook time.
- Remove from heat.
To wrap with lettuce
- Cut the bottom stem off of the iceberg lettuce head. Gently remove each leaf trying not to tear them in half as you do. Wash and dry well.
- Lay one lettuce leaf down. Place burger inside and top with burger sauce and add any desired toppings.
- Fold another piece of lettuce on top to enclose the burger and form a wrap. Pick up and enjoy!
21 Day Fix Containers: (for 1 Burger Patty with 1 slice of cheese, 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Burger Sauce, lettuce and pickles) 1 RED, 1 1/2 TSP, 1/2 BLUE, 1/2 GREEN, 1 sweetener tsp.
If you use other toppings, don’t forget to count them!
Keywords: burger recipe, the best burgers, bunless burgers, burger sauce, burger sauce recipe