This Instant Pot Beef Pot Roast cooks in record time, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner or a stress free special occasion!
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups organic, low sodium beef broth or stock
- 2 T tomato paste
- 6 carrots, chopped thick and on a diagonal
- 3 cups of baby potatoes, skin left on
- Himalayan or sea salt
- thickener of your choice – tapioca, arrowroot, rice flour, or cornstarch
- optional – 1 T Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos
- Trim all fat from chuck roast steak, then sprinkle salt on each side. Set IP to sauté and and wait until the screen reads “hot.” Add 2 tsp of the olive oil and sear meat on both sides. Remove roast from pot.
- Add remaining 2 tsp olive oil to pot and add onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until fragrant, then deglaze with broth, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce, if using, and stir well. Get all those brown bits up from the bottom of the pot to flavor your meat and veggies and make a killer gravy!
- Add roast back to pot, along with potatoes. Place carrots in a steamer basket on top of meat and potatoes. Lock lid and set for 60 minutes.
- After cook time, do a natural release. It took my pot about 15 minutes to release all the pressure. If you are hangry or impatient, you could switch it over to quick release anytime after this point and you will be good.
- Remove roast and veggies after cook time. Enjoy as is or make a quick gravy by removing 1/2 cup of the stock and mixing with 1 T of your thickener. Add this slurry back to the IP and place pot on sauté. Simmer until the gravy thickens to your liking, stirring frequently.
- Fixers – use your containers to measure your portions. Enjoy!
1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Green, 1 tsp each
For Slow Cooker – cook on low 8-10 hours
Keywords: beef, pot roast, dinner, instant pot, gluten-free, high-protein