Packed with protein and veggies, this Instant Pot Sausage and Lentil Soup is delicious, 21 Day Fix approved, and totally filling thanks to a big, healthy portion size and some lean poultry sausage!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb of Italian Chicken or Turkey Sausage – spicy or sweet
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups of celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of zucchini, sliced in half moons
- 1 1/2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill dry lentils, rinsed very well (my lentils doubled – if your lentils triple, you can use 1 cup or make this 8 servings instead of 6)
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- fresh basil or sub dried
- Himalayan salt
- crushed red pepper
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté and heat olive oil. Remove sausage from casing and brown until cooked through. Add in onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add zucchini and sauté another minute.
- Pour in lentils and chicken stock and give everything a good stir.
- Place lid on your IP and lock, setting for 12 minutes on manual. After cook time, do a quick release. Remove lid after the Instant Pot beeps and unlocks. Stir in spinach leaves until they wilt. Add in fresh basil to taste and salt and crushed red pepper, if desired. I find that salt isn’t needed due to the stock and the sausage, but if using sweet sausage, some crushed red pepper tastes great!
- Serve with Pecorino Romano (measured in your blue container) and enjoy!
- For STOVETOP – Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add in turkey sausage and brown until cooked through. Add in onions, carrots, and celery and cook until veggies are soft. Add garlic and zucchini and cook for an additional minute or two. Stir in stock and lentils, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 35 minutes or until lentils are soft. Add in spinach and herbs/seasonings. Serve with Pecorino Romano.
This makes 12 cups of soup and serves 6. Serving size is 2 cups. Each serving is 1 1/3 GREEN, 3/4 RED, 1 YELLOW, 1/3 tsp. If you are using cheese, be sure to measure your blue.
This can easily be adapted for 80 Day obsession by using 2 cups less veggies, 1/2 lb more sausage and 4 tsp additional olive oil. Then it will be 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow, and 1 tsp per serving
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points – 3 per serving (more for cheese)
- Serving Size: 2 cups of soup
Keywords: soup, lentils, sausage, gluten-free, high-protein, instant pot