You guys…this casserole. It’s what cheesy, comfort food casserole dreams are made of…so good, I literally had to take the dish away from my husband to make him stop.
He doesn’t even like broccoli, remember? Or at least this is what he claims.
But, if you are like me and you are keeping track, this is the THIRD recipe (Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli and Instant Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta are the other two, btw) using broccoli that my husband is now obsessed with. Just saying.
I had a back up dinner ready when I made this the first time because, well, the broccoli, and because I used cauliflower rice instead of regular rice…and I didn’t know if that would really be pushing it.
Oh – and in addition to using cauliflower rice, I went against every instinct I had and used diced, raw chicken to this dish. I mean, I knew it would cook…but I was a little worried about the texture. But I am also not a fan of requiring precooked chicken for a dish because, if your life is anything like mine, I can’t aways run to pick up a rotisserie or prep chicken for my fridge.
There was really no reason to worry. It was perfection.
I mean, could anything NOT be perfect after being smothered by this amazing cheese sauce? It’s same deliciousness that I use for my Cauliflower Cheeseburger Mac. Have you made that one yet? Because you need that in your life, too.
Hello, lover. Now just bake it to bubbly perfection and it’s ready for you to devour. And hide from your husband if he is anything like mine.
If you make this one, be sure to give me a shout on social – I LOVE seeing all of your yummy creations!Print
This Low Carb Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole made with cauliflower rice is one of our new favorite dinners for the 21 Day Fix and for 2B Mindset!
- 2 cups of cauliflower rice, thawed if frozen (although I have done it from frozen in a pinch!)
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 lb of chicken tenderloins, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 tsp of rice flour or gf flour blend
- 4 tsp vegan butter or ghee
- 1 cup of unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (use Daiya for dairy free!)
- Himalayan salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking oil. Add cauliflower rice to the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
- Next, add the chicken and, again, sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Add in broccoli next. Set casserole dish aside.
- For the cheese sauce, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk together. Slowly whisk in the almond milk, and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Once thickened, remove sauce from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese until fully melted, adding salt to taste.
- Pour cheese sauce over casserole, using a rubber spatula or spoon to spread out the cheese. Top with remaining cheese and place in the oven for 45 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble.
- Set to a low broil to brown the cheese for 4-5 minutes before removing from the oven.
21 Day Fix Containers- 1 Green, 1 Red, 1 Blue, 1 tsp per serving
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points – 6 (low fat cheese) or 8 (full fat cheese) per serving
- Serving Size: 1/4 of casserole dish