This easy Taquitos recipe uses my favorite hidden veggie taco meat and my favorite homemade cheese sauce as a queso dipping sauce. These gluten-free taquitos, or rolled tacos, are a healthier option than traditional taquitos because they are baked or air fried. Freeze taquitos for an easy lunch, dinner, or snack!
For the Taquitos
- 1lb of ground meat of your choice (we using love lean ground beef)
- 3 cups of cauliflower rice (can be frozen)
- 1 cup of low sodium tomato sauce
- 1–2 T of salt free taco seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- 1–2 T of water (if needed)
- 12 corn tortillas
For the Cheese Sauce
- 2.5 T of gluten free flour blend
- 2.5 T vegan butter, butter, or ghee
- 1.5–2 cups of unsweetened original almond milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- chili powder
Instant Pot Taco Meat:
- In your Instant Pot, Brown meat until almost cooked through, then stir in cauliflower rice, sauce, and taco seasonings.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and lock lid, setting for 1 minute manual pressure. After cook time, quick release. If taco meat needs thickening, then cook on sauté for a few minutes until the water evaporates.
Stovetop Taco Meat:
- Brown meat until just about cooked through, then add in cauliflower rice. Saute for a few minutes until cauliflower is tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce and taco seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes, adding in water if mixture is too thick.
- Heat tortillas in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes. Spray them with olive oil spray and heat on a baking sheet until soft and pliable. Alternately, you can wrap 2-4 at a time in wet paper towels and warm in the microwave for 60 seconds.
- Working one by one, place 2-3 tablespoons of taco mixture on the top edge of the tortilla. Gently roll tortilla into a taquito shape, using a toothpick to hold them together. TIP: do this while your tortillas are still very warm! As the tortillas cool, they will break apart again!
- Spray basket of your airfryer or mealthy crisp lid so shells don’t stick or cover with parchment.
- Spray shells with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt. Air fry in batches of 2-4 at a time on 390 (400 for Mealthy Crisp Lid) for a few minutes or until your taquito is crisp.
- Repeat steps with remaining corn tortillas.
- To make the Taquitos in the oven, just follow the instructions above, but instead of Air Frying, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake your Taquitos for 12-14 minutes at 400 degrees.
- In your instant pot or in your skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk together.
- Slowly whisk in 1 1/2 cups of almond milk, and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Once thickened, remove sauce from heat and stir in cheddar cheese until fully melted, adding salt to taste. If you need to thin it out, add in some additional milk in 1/4 cup increments.
- Add chopped jalapeños and chili powder to the cheese sauce to taste.
- Dip taquitos in cheese sauce and enjoy!
For 2 Corn tortillas + 1/3 cup of cheese sauce (2.5 T): 1/2 red, 1/2 green, 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 tsp (if you use Mission Extra Thin Tortillas, you can have three and get closer to a full red, too!)
For 2 Flour tortillas + 1/3 cup of cheese sauce (2.5 T): 1 red, 1/2 green, 2 yellow, 1 blue, 1 tsp
WW Green, Blue, & Purple: 3 points per taquito (using beef) and 3 points for 1/6 cup of cheese sauce (calculated using 95% ground beef, butter, and reduced fat cheese)
- Serving Size: 2 taquitos
Keywords: taquitos, taquitos with beef, healthy taquitos, air fryer taquitos, gluten-free taquitos, taquitos recipe