Healthy Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
Creamy, savory, and full of fall flavor, this Healthy Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce is a great seasonal twist on a classic dish! Made with pumpkin puree, and a blend of white cheddar, parmesan, and pecorino cheeses, this creamy sauce is the ultimate in fall comfort food made delicious.
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp olive oil or sub olive oil spray
- 4 tsp butter, vegan butter, or ghee
- 4 tsp gluten free or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup original unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded white cheddar cheese packed in tight
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded Parmesan Reggiano cheese packed in tight
- 2 Tbsp Pecorino Romano cheese or just sub extra Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- dash nutmeg
- salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- fresh parsley optional, to garnish
Heat a ceramic or stainless steel pan over medium low heat. Add in olive oil and garlic. Stir until fragrant, then add in butter.
Slowly whisk in flour until well combined with the butter and garlic. While whisking, slowly add in 1 1/4 cups of almond milk. Increase heat to medium and allow milk and flour to thicken for several minutes.
Once your roux (aka flour mixture) is thickened, reduce heat to low and add in all the cheese, stirring well until the sauce is creamy, then stir in pumpkin.
Remove from heat. Add in ¼ tsp of salt (or to taste), a sprinkle of pepper, and dash of nutmeg.
Serve with noodles, veggies, and or your favorite protein and top with extra parmesan and garnish with fresh parsley and a pinch of nutmeg.
21 DAY FIX: 1/2 BLUE, 1/8 PURPLE, 1 tsp (per serving)
WW: Green, Blue, Purple - 5 points (per serving) [Calculated using cooking oil spray, butter, and GF or whole wheat flour]
Serving: 0.33cupsCalories: 149kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 7gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 486mgPotassium: 96mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 5045IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 280mgIron: 1mg