One of my favorite Instant Pot meals to date, this 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce with Spaghetti Squash is simple to make, deliciously low carb, and packed with lots of protein and veggie power to keep you full and happy!
Confession #116 – We almost never have leftovers in my house and it’s all my husband’s fault. He doesn’t read my blog often, so I can get away with saying this here.
Besides, he knows it’s true. (**But if you are reading this, I totally love you anyway!)
Even when I intentionally make extra of something, somehow the extra portions disappear before I can grab out the Tupperware.
I mean, the man likes to eat. We pretty much bonded over our love of food (and strangely our mutual love for hot dogs) on our very first date. Anyway, he sees a pot of food as fair game no matter what Autumn says about the containers.
This Beef Bolognese with Spaghetti Squash was no exception. My husband was literally scraping the Instant Pot clean…bypassing the plate and spooning it directly into his mouth.
I guess he liked it.
My dreams of leftovers for lunch were crushed.
Next time I’ll have to make a double batch and hide it all…you know, behind the veggies in the freezer.
Lucky for me, it’s such a simple recipe made even more simple using the Instant Pot. Not only is the sauce easy to throw together, the Spaghetti Squash cooks right in the sauce. No need to cut it or anything because it steams right in the IP.
Bolognese is different than a traditional meat sauce; it’s less about the tomatoes and more about the meat. Because it starts with a soffritto, which is basically finely chopped carrots, onions, and celery, I almost always have the ingredients on hand to make it. It’s also the perfect meal to prep while you are cooking a soup, which frequently starts with the same base.
To keep the sauce dairy free, I used coconut milk and I think it gave it the perfect velvety smooth finish. I dip top mine with some parmesean cheese, but my son ate his all up without it! So whatever works for you!
Another Instant Pot success!
- 1 small to medium spaghetti squash
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of carrots, diced small
- 1/2 cup of celery, diced small
- 4 tsp vegan butter or ghee (can sub regular butter)
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of white wine (or sub red if you have it)
- 2 T coconut cream (the thick part of canned coconut milk)
- fresh basil
- Himalayan salt
- Parmesan cheese (omit for dairy-free)
- Set Instant Pot to saute and brown ground beef until cooked through. Add in veggies and saute for a few more minutes.
- Next, stir in tomatoes, butter, white wine, and 1/2 tsp of Himalayan salt.
- Wash and dry Spaghetti Squash thoroughly. Using a sharp knife, poke slits all around the squash, then place it in the IP on top of the sauce.
- Lock IP cover and set to manual for 18 minutes.
- After cook time, switch to quick release. Once the IP unlocks, carefully take out just the spaghetti squash and let cool (I use rubber heat safe kitchen gloves). Turn IP to low saute and stir in coconut cream and fresh basil to the bolognese sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Once the spaghetti squash cools enough to handle, cut it in half, remove the seeds, then shred into "spaghetti" using a fork.
- Serve sauce over 1 cup of spaghetti squash and top with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese (omit if dairy free).
21 Day Fix Container Count:
2 GREEN, 1 RED, 1 TSP (and measure blue if you top with parm cheese)