Did you know that store bought jarred tomato sauce often contains added sugar?
I always make my own sauce- it’s so easy and way cheaper to make a huge pot to freeze for whenever you are in the mood!
Homemade Tomato Sauce- #21DF approved
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 chopped onion
4 cloves of garlic, crushed and sliced
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz can of tomato purée
Fresh basil leaves
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over med/low heat
2. Add onions and cook until they are soft. Add garlic and sauté, being careful not to burn
3. Add crushed tomatoes and purée
4. Cover and bring to a simmer on low heat
5. After 25-30 mins, add fresh basil leaves. I use at least 2tbsp
6. Cook for at least an hour on low heat, stirring occasionally. If sauce is too thick, add a little water
7. Sauce keeps great in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for months!
1 cup of sauce = 1 GREEN