Baked asparagus patties are a quick, healthy, and tasty side dish. Fresh asparagus and salty Pecarino Romano cheese are a delicious combination.
Confession #63 – Over the past 9 months or so, my house has become a disorganized mess. Instead of having a few areas that needed cleaning out, every drawer and closet I opened made me want to cry.
Besides that, we put in new kitchen cabinets last February and I still had not unpacked all of my boxes and set up everything the way I wanted.
I was ready to move out and start over.
Now I am not pointing fingers, but I suspect this has something to do with my youngest not leaving me alone for one second.
Ok, so I am pointing fingers. It’s totally because my youngest will not leave me alone. For one second. Oh – and he hates to nap. And sleep in general.
He is lucky he is so freaking adorable, I’ll tell you that much.
But anyway, a beautiful thing happened in the past couple of weeks. First, one of my dear friends came over for a whole day and helped me get my kitchen in order the way I want it. And I went to bed a new woman that night.
And then my mom came to stay for a bit, and I cleaned several closets, my garage, and office…and each accomplishment has made me happier than the last.
Not only has my mom helped me with the kids, she has made a few of my favorite meals along the way.
I’m so sorry it took me so long to get to the point here.
These baked asparagus patties have been around in our family for decades.
My grandma used to make them for me all the time, but she would fry them and I would eat them on large pieces of Italian Bread. SO YUMMY!!!!
My mom has always been into eating healthy, so she has FIXED this over the years…and I have to say, one bite of the new and improved patties brought me right back into my grandma’s kitchen. They are AMAZING.
They don’t look super exciting, so you will have to trust me.
Here’s the recipe for the baked asparagus patties. Enjoy!
Fresh asparagus and salty Pecarino Romano cheese are paired together in these healthy and delicious baked asparagus patties.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cleaned and with the ends snapped off (hold the top and bottom of your stalk and bend...it will snap off at the right spot!)
- 1/4 cup of good Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of whole wheat Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Put some water in a glass pan and lay asparagus in one layer and steam in the oven until very soft, about 15 minutes, depending on the thickness. They should be easily to mash when they are finished.
- Take asparagus out of the oven and increase temp to 375.
- Drain asparagus well and place into a bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Add egg, breadcrumbs, and cheese. Mix well.
- Mix in baking powder.
- Spray or coat a baking sheet with olive oil. I used my EVO sprayer.
- Form asparagus mixture into patties. My mom uses a spoon to scoop mixture and then flatten the patties. This made 6, but you can make smaller ones and have more.
- Bake at 375 for about ten minutes or until the bottom starts to brown. Then flip and repeat on the other side.
- Enjoy! Make sandwiches or eat by themselves. These are also great cold or reheated.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Makes 6 patties, which is 2 servings.
1 serving (3 patties) - 1 GREEN, 1/3 YELLOW, 1/3 BLUE