Confession #78 – Food prep is awesome, but I do get bored kinda quick.
I actually envy those who can eat the same breakfasts and lunches all the time. It sounds so efficient and easy…and I could use more efficient and easy in my life.
But the foodie side of me gets in the way. It’s a blessing and a curse, right?
Anyway, I have been making large batches of steel cut oats for a couple of years now, because who has time to wait 30 minutes for breakfast in the morning? Stored in the fridge, oats can last several days and they definitely reheat well.
But then we have the boredom issue. What if you don’t want to eat oatmeal everyday?
Turns out, you can FREEZE steel cut oats. And when you portion them into muffin tins, you can even customize your toppings! Total boredom buster!
These little numbers are awesome reheated and I love combining different toppings – like strawberry banana and apple cinnamon blueberry.
The possibilities are endless, but also efficient AND easy. A dream for the busy foodies of the world!Print
- coconut oil spray
- steel cut oats
- fruit toppings of your choice
- cinnamon, cocoa powder
- Make a large batch of steel cut oats. I made 4 servings and filled one muffin tin. If you have room in your freezer, you could do more! Let oats cool completely.
- Spray muffin tin well with coconut oil spray.
- Using 1/4 cup measuring cup, portion out oats into muffin tins.
- Top each with 2T of diced fruit, cinnamon, cocoa powder, or toppings of your choice.
- Wrap your tin in plastic wrap (again, be sure your oats have cooled) and place tin in the freezer for 4-5 hours.
- Once frozen, use a butter knife to pop out the oats. I had no problem doing this!
- Store in ziplocks and microwave 2-3 minutes to reheat.
2 “muffins” – 1 YELLOW, 1/4 PURPLE
- Serving Size: 2 "muffins"
Keywords: oatmeal, breakfast, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian