Delicious and easy 21 Day Fix Chicken Marsala for the Instant Pot that’s gluten-free, grain free, and Paleo friendly!
This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Confession #112 – I hate to be so dramatic, but life as I have known it for the past three years is officially over.
My toddler has given up his nap time.
And by nap time, I am referring to what we have been calling his “fake” nap where he would willingly go in the crib, not to sleep, but to entertain himself with various noises, songs, and crib gymnastics so mommy could get a break and a pinch of sanity.
Oh…and you know, work on this blog.
Of course he has been able to climb out of his crib for well over a year now, but I have “fixed this” by putting him in a backwards sleep sack and that has worked.
I may be dealing with a future gymnast. Because I watched him make his escape and he basically pulls himself up and then pommel horses himself over the side of the crib.
It’s actually quite impressive.
But I seriously could cry.
Anyway, it’s all the more reason to love recipes like this Instant Pot Chicken Marsala, which comes together so quickly and seriously tastes amazing, especially with a glass of wine. Just sayin.
And although it’s a simple, one pot meal, I think it’s tasty enough for company or even a holiday meal. Imagine? Only one pot to clean for a fancy dinner?
I used tapioca flour to thicken my Marsala gravy, but you could use corn starch or flour if that’s what you have on hand. And I have tried this with both chicken thighs and breasts, and I prefer it with the thighs…the extra fat gives the gravy some added flavor and richness.
My husband and kids had this over gluten free noodles, but I thought it was plenty filling with just a side of green beans. Because, you know, the wine.
Momma’s got to stay sane somehow, right?
Anyway, if you make this, let me know! And if you have any tips for establishing a rest time routine for a toddler who strong point isn’t reasoning with his momma, please send them to me!
Or just send me more wine.
- 1-2 pounds of chicken thighs (or breasts if you prefer)
- 4 tsp butter or ghee
- olive oil spray
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 T diced shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- garlic powder
- 3/4 cup of Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1-2 T of tapioca starch, corn starch or rice flour (can sub whatever flour/thickener you have on hand)
- Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and wait for it to heat. Then spray inside of pot with olive oil spray. Melt 1 tsp of butter and brown chicken in batches. If you are short on time, you can skip this step.
- Remove chicken and melt another tsp of butter in pot. Saute mushrooms, shallots, and garlic for a few minutes before adding chicken back in, along with Marsala wine, stock, and another sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Lock IP cover and switch to manual. Set for ten minutes.
- After cook time is finished, switch to quick release and allow all the steam to escape. Remove chicken and mushrooms, but leave juice in the pot, and turn on saute function again.
- Take 1/2 cup of the juice out and mix with 1 T of tapioca or corn starch and 2 tsp of butter. Whisk together well, then pour back into the pot with the rest of the liquid. Stir and heat until a thick gravy forms, about 5 minutes, gradually adding in more starch as needed. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Mix chicken, mushrooms, and gravy together and serve with noodles, rice, potatoes and/or a side of green beans for a deliciously filling meal! Don't forget the wine 🙂
- For Stove-top: Spray pan with olive oil spray and 1 tsp butter. Cook chicken on medium until cooked through, flipping once, then remove from pan. Melt another tsp of butter in pan. Saute mushrooms, shallots, and garlic for a few minutes. Add in Marsala wine, stock, and another sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook until it begins to reduce. Then take 1/2 cup of the juice out and mix with 1 T of tapioca or corn starch and 2 tsp of butter. Whisk together well, then pour back into the pan with the rest of the liquid. Stir and cook over medium heat until a thick gravy forms, about 5 minutes, gradually adding in more starch as needed. Adjust seasoning as desired. Add chicken in at the end and warm through. Serve with noodles, rice, potatoes and/or a side of green beans for a deliciously filling meal!
21 Day Fix Container Count:
1 RED, 1/2 GREEN, 1 tsp