Simple Crock Pot spaghetti squash with meat sauce is the comfort food you’re craving, slow cooked in a 21 Day Fix approved meal.
Confession #61- I used to be terrified of leaving the crock pot on while at work.
I know. It’s the whole freaking point, right?
I never said my fear was rational!
And so I used to cook my crock pot meals overnight. I guess I figured a fire breaking out while I was sleeping was better than it happening while I was at work.
Great idea, right? Until about 2 am.
Have you ever tried to sleep with a delicious pork roast or pot of tortilla soup cooking down the hall?
It’s not easy, people.
So I decided to face my fear in the name of a full night sleep and I haven’t looked back since.
Last week I tried a new slow cooker recipe, and I have been SO excited to share it with you. It’s inspired by Skinnytaste’s Crock Pot Sauce, which I make a lot, but I put my own spin on it, using ground turkey and spaghetti squash.
And I cooked my spaghetti squash RIGHT IN THE CROCKPOT!!!!
Yes, I yelled that last line.
I want to shout it from the rooftops!!
You can cook a spaghetti squash in a CROCKPOT!!!!
Ok. I am done now. I hope you are as excited as me, because this simple Crock Pot spaghetti squash with meat sauce was easy, delicious, and my new favorite way to make spaghetti squash. And for those of you who aren’t fans of turkey sausage (can we talk about why?), using ground turkey for this was perfect. My husband actually thought it was sausage.
Looks much better finished, huh?
I hope you enjoy this simple crock pot spaghetti squash and meat Sauce recipe!
The comfort food you crave, slow cooked up into a delicious 21 Day Fix approved dinner.
- 1 medium to large spaghetti squash, washed
- 2 tsp olive oil (I used my Tuscan Herb EVOO from The Bodacious Olive)
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 lb organic ground turkey (or ground beef if you would rather!)
- 2 (15 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Crushed red pepper (to taste)
- Salt, Pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and cook the garlic until golden on both sides. Be very careful not to burn it!
- Remove garlic from the pan and add your turkey. Cook through and season to taste with Italian Seasoning and Crushed Red Pepper.
- Add garlic and turkey to the crock pot and cover with both cans of crushed tomatoes.
- Carefully cut your spaghetti squash in half around the middle. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and membranes. Place cut sides down in crock pot. If your cover doesn't fit over tightly, place some foil under it to ensure the squash can steam.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours
- Check on the squash by sticking them with a fork. If it goes in easy, it's done! Let them cool in a separate bowl for a bit or risk some crazy burns.
- Remove squash from shell using a fork; discard the shell. Drain in a colander if squash seems watery. You can even use a cheesecloth to strain further.
- If your sauce is on the thin side because of the squash, cook it uncovered in the crock on HIGH for a bit to thicken it up before serving.
- Serve squash with sauce from Crock Pot and top with Parmesan.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Makes 4-6 servings.
My plate was 1 cup of Squash (I also added some spinach for extra GREEN), 1 cup of Sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan. I counted it as 2 GREEN, 2/3 RED, 1/2 BLUE.
Tip - add some ricotta for additional RED. YUM!