Simple Crock Pot Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce is the comfort food you’re craving, slow cooked in a 21 Day Fix approved meal. And newly updated with Instant Pot instructions, too! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Confession #61- I used to be terrified of leaving the crock pot on while at work.
I know. It’s the whole freaking point, right?
I never said my fear was rational!
And so I used to cook my crock pot meals overnight. I guess I figured a fire breaking out while I was sleeping was better than it happening while I was at work.
Great idea, right? Until about 2 am.
Have you ever tried to sleep with a delicious pork roast or pot of tortilla soup cooking down the hall?
It’s not easy, people.
So I decided to face my fear in the name of a full night sleep and I haven’t looked back since.
Last week I tried a new slow cooker recipe, and I have been SO excited to share it with you. It’s inspired by Skinnytaste’s Crock Pot Sauce, which I make a lot, but I put my own spin on it, using ground turkey and spaghetti squash.
And I cooked my spaghetti squash RIGHT IN THE CROCKPOT!!!!
Yes, I yelled that last line.
I want to shout it from the rooftops!!
You can cook a spaghetti squash in a CROCKPOT!!!!
Ok. I am done now. I hope you are as excited as me, because this simple Crock Pot spaghetti squash with meat sauce was easy, delicious, and my new favorite way to make spaghetti squash. And for those of you who aren’t fans of turkey sausage (can we talk about why?), using ground turkey for this was perfect. My husband actually thought it was sausage.
Looks much better finished, huh?
I hope you enjoy this simple crock pot spaghetti squash and meat Sauce recipe!Print
- 1 medium to large spaghetti squash, washed
- 2 tsp olive oil (I used my Tuscan Herb EVOO from The Bodacious Olive)
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1.5 lb organic ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground beef
- 2 (28 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Crushed red pepper (to taste)
- Salt, Pepper (to taste)
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and cook the garlic until golden on both sides. Be very careful not to burn it! Remove garlic from the pan and add your turkey. Cook through and season to taste with Italian Seasoning and Crushed Red Pepper.
- Add garlic and turkey to the crock pot and cover with both cans of crushed tomatoes.
- Carefully cut your spaghetti squash in half around the middle. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and membranes. Place cut sides down in crock pot. If your cover doesn’t fit over tightly, place some foil under it to ensure the squash can steam.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours. Check on the squash by sticking them with a fork. If it goes in easy, it’s done! Let them cool in a separate bowl for a bit or risk some crazy burns.
- Remove squash from shell using a fork; discard the shell. Drain in a colander if squash seems watery. You can even use a cheesecloth to strain further. If your sauce is on the thin side because of the squash, cook it uncovered in the crock on HIGH for a bit to thicken it up before serving. Serve squash with sauce from Crock Pot and top with Parmesan.
- Turn IP to saute. Add olive oil and cook the garlic until golden on both sides. Be very careful not to burn it!
- Remove garlic from the IP and add your turkey. Cook through on saute and season to taste with Italian Seasoning and Crushed Red Pepper. Deglaze your Instant Pot (aka scrape the bottom to release anything that might be stuck) with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Return garlic to pan and cover meat with both cans of crushed tomatoes, but do not stir.
- Add squash whole or cut in half:
- To cut: Wash your spaghetti squash well, then carefully cut your spaghetti squash in half around the middle. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and membranes. Place squash in your Instant Pot on top of sauce or place your trivet on sauce and place your squash on trivet. Lock IP and turn to manual, high pressure and cook for 7 minutes. Switch to quick release after cook time is finished.
- To cook whole: Pierce the spaghetti squash all over with a knife and place over the sauce. Cook high pressure 20 minutes. Switch to quick release after cook time is finished.
- Remove squash from pot and let cool for a bit before handling. If needed, cut squash and remove strands from shell using a fork; discard the shell. If your sauce is on the thin side because of the squash, turn it back to saute and cook uncovered in the IP for a bit to thicken it up before serving. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings
My plate was 1 cup of Squash (I also added some spinach for extra GREEN), 1 cup of Sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan. I counted it as 2 GREEN, 1 RED, 1/2 BLUE.
WW Freestyle: 2 points per serving
- Serving Size: 1 cup of squash + 1 cup of sauce
Keywords: dinner, slow cooker, italian, poultry, meat, instant pot, low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, high protein