Confession #97 – I’ve been sucked into the idea of zucchini lasagna and, even worse, zucchini lasagna roll ups, several times, thanks to Pinterest. Don’t get me wrong – all the recipes I have tried have been amazing – but holy time consuming.
I knew there had to be a better way.
Well, hello there.
This beauty is my answer. Meet my lazy, one-skillet, 21 Day Fix approved Zucchini Lasagna.
This dish skips the salting, rolling, pre-grilling, and the need for a fancy veggie cutter to make thinly sliced zucchini…all of the laborious stuff. And yet, it’s insanely delicious. As in, my husband declared it to be in the top five dinners of all time. Say what??
Oh – and it’s super quick. Like weeknight fast. It can be made in one skillet, as long as your pan is oven safe; if not, you’ll dirty two dishes and use a baking pan. No biggie.
With all the garden fresh zucchini around, now is the best time to give this a try! And, if you do, let me know what you think!
Serving Size: 1/4 of skillet
- olive oil cooking spray (I used my EVO)
- 1 lb lean organic Italian poultry sausage, removed from casing
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of zucchini, sliced into thin half moons
- 2 cups of spinach, chopped
- 1 cup of homemade tomato sauce (or no sugar added jar sauce)
- 1 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 T of Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh basil
- Spray an oven safe pan with olive oil spray and cook turkey sausage through.
- Add garlic to pan and saute for a minute, then add a zucchini and spinach. Spray with additional olive oil spray and cook until zucchini is crisp tender. Add in basil and stir. Remove from heat.
- Flatten veggies and meat down a bit with your spatula, and then cover mixture with tomato sauce.
- Mix one egg, and T of Parmesan cheese into ricotta and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper. Layer ricotta mixture on top sauce.
- Finally, top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place in your broiler on low for 5-10 minutes or until cheese gets nice and toasty brown. Keep an eye on it, as it happens fast!
- Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes. Just before serving, make a small cut into the lasagna and very carefully drain out the excess water from the pan. While this step is optional, because zucchini releases so much water, I think it's worth it! Just use those oven mitts and be careful!!
- Top with extra Parmesan cheese and sauce, if desired.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Makes 4 servings. Each 1/4 of skillet is 2 GREEN, 1 1/2 RED, 3/4 BLUE (a whole if you top with extra Parmesan)