Confession #101 – I’m totally an emotional eater.
But I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing. Even after two years of clean eating and vowing to live a healthier life.
I know I am going against the grain by saying that (especially as a Beachbody Coach), but hear me out.
Coming from a long line of home cooks, food is nostalgic for me. It’s comfort in a bowl. Being in my kitchen, my favorite place, is therapeutic.
When someone is sick or suffers a loss, we organize a meal train.
When it’s time to celebrate, we do so over dinner and drinks.
Food is tradition. Food is family. Food is love.
And while I am certainly not condoning that you overeat or make unhealthy choices (drop that bag of Doritos), I think it’s perfectly ok for food to bring you joy, happiness, or solace.
Food brings us together.
On this rainy, cold day in November, many of us need a little comfort.
And we all need to come together.
For me, I’ll be in the kitchen, making my Momma’s Meatloaf, a recipe that has been in my family for generations. I will bask in the familiar smells of my grandmother’s kitchen. I will remember my nanny, and how she used to make this dish for her children and grandchildren, before I was even born.
And I will take comfort in our time at the dinner table tonight.
Serving Size: 1/8 of meat, 1 cup of potato/veggie mixture
- 2lbs of lean, grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (we use gluten free)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cup of shredded pecorino romano, plus more for topping (Locatelli brand is the best)
- 1 tsp of dry parsley or 1 T freshly chopped parsley
- 2 T of tomato sauce, plus an addional cup for topping
- 4 cups of thinly sliced potatoes
- 4 cups of thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Mix all ingredients for meatloaf by hand, then shape into two loaves.
- Place loaves in baking dish. Top each with loaf with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and 2 T of cheese.
- Arrange veggie/potato mixture around loaves and bake for approximately an hour, stirring halfway through.
- After an hour, check to see if the veggies are done. Add additional cooking time, if necessary.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
1 RED, 1/4 BLUE, 1/3 YELLOW, 1/2 GREEN