Krispie Baked Chicken is a healthy, 21 Day Fix approved substitute for Fried Chicken! It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and totally kid friendly!
Confession #108 – Back in my single days, I took a cooking class with a friend of mine through an adult evening class at a local high school.
I’m pretty sure we thought we would be learning how to make fancy gourmet dishes to make for our then boyfriends.
Gourmet? Not so much.
But I will credit that class with introducing me to Spaghetti Squash.
Oh – and Rice Krispie Chicken, which became a staple meal for both my friend and myself.
What’s Rice Krispie Chicken, you say?
It’s exactly how it sounds. It’s chicken. With Rice Krispies. Exactly the kind of thing you expect to learn in a cooking class, right?
Anyway , fast forward many years and a couple kids later, my husband (the boyfriend I referenced above) accidentally grabbed chicken tenderloins from the store instead of boneless breasts, and once I stopped being annoyed with this, I remembered the old recipe for Rice Krispie Chicken and decided it was time to Fix it!
It really is so simple, and it was very easy to make FIX friendly. We no longer buy Rice Krispies, but I did use my favorite Brown Rice Cereal, the same one that I use for my 21 Day Fix Granola. It’s gluten-free and organic, and my kids love eating it the same way I used to love the original snap, crackle, pop!
And to further Fix the dish, instead of dipping it in butter, I used egg and my husband couldn’t tell the difference. In fact, he kept saying how delicious it was. My kids liked it, too!
It would be fun to play around with seasonings and spices, too! Like a buffalo version of this would be awesome, and perfect with the big game coming up.
If you are craving fried chicken, this just might do the trick!
Serving Size: 1/4 of chicken
- 1lb chicken tenderloins
- 1 egg and 1 egg white
- 2 cups of brown rice cereal
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sprinkle of pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place rice cereal in a bag along with spices. Using a rolling pin (or your hands) crush cereal a bit, leaving some larger pieces in tact. Place cereal mixture in a bowl.
- Mix egg and egg white together. Dip chicken pieces first in the egg, then in the rice cereal mixture.
- Place breaded chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Before baking, spray both sides of chicken with olive oil spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until juices run clear.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
21 day Fix Containers - 1 YELLOW, 1 RED