Make this 21 Day Fix Cauliflower Cheeseburger “Mac” in the oven or in your Instant Pot…but make it now! It’s one of my favorite “no yellow” FIX approved meals! This post contains affiliate links for products I am obsessed with.
Confession #88 – I’ve been struggling on what to call this dish. To me, it’s a cross between Mac and Cheese and Hamburger Helper.
Except I’ve never had Hamburger Helper. And there is no “mac” with this cheese.
I’m not trying to be a food snob here when I say I’ve never had Hamburger Helper. I grew up in a house where my mom made everything herself – no boxed Kraft Mac and Cheese, no Chef Boyardee.
And the truth? I always wanted it.
Until I tasted Spaghetti-Os.
What a disappointment. You were right mom. You can say I told you so. Because you did. So. Many. Times.
Anyway, because I never tasted Hamburger Helper, I apologize if my description of this dish is off. But I promise you – it’s delicious regardless. And if you are a lover of cheese, you have to try it!
Just look at all of that cheesy goodness! And it is chock full of veggies, so you can have a huge helping of this dish without going over your containers. However you will still want more, so be sure you portion the extra away…and don’t say you haven’t been warned!
While this recipe was born out of total curiosity, I think it has also given me just what I need for a FIX approved Mac and Cheese recipe! Stay tuned for that one.
Until then, enjoy this cauliflower creation…it’s a new favorite in our house!
**And this has been updated to include Instant Pot directions because, well, it’s summer and I would much rather use the IP than turn on my oven. Plus only one pot to clean – woohoo! Give it a try and let me know which version you like better. Enjoy! <3
Cauliflower Cheeseburger “Mac”
- 1 lb lean grass fed ground beef
- 1 head cauliflower 4 cups of florets
- 4 teaspoons rice flour or flour of your choice
- 4 teaspoons vegan butter or ghee
- 1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese use Daiya for dairy free!
- Himalayan salt
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and preheat your oven to 350.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef until fully cooked. Drain any excess fat and place meat into the casserole dish. Wipe out your skillet.
- While you are cooking the beef, cut cauliflower into florets and steam 4 cups worth for about 6-8 minutes, or until tender on the outside but still crisp in the middle.
- In your skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk together. Slowly whisk in the almond milk, and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Once thickened, remove sauce from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese until fully melted, adding salt to taste.
- Combine beef, cauliflower, and cheese sauce in the casserole dish and mix well. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Enjoy!
- Place head of cauliflower on trivet and add in one cup of water to the IP. Set to steam for ZERO minutes. Quick release after pot comes to pressure and carefully remove cauliflower.
- Cut into little florets and set aside. Drain water from IP and dry completely.
- Set to saute and add in ground beef. Brown until cooked through. Remove meat and set aside with the cauliflower florets.
- Wipe out IP and add in butter. Melt butter and whisk in the flour. Slowly whisk in the almond milk, and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Once thickened, remove steal pot from IP base (essentially removing the heat) and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese until fully melted, adding salt to taste.
- Combine beef, cauliflower, and cheese sauce together and mix well. Top with remaining cheese and place back in the IP on warm. Place cover back on pot until the cheese topping melts and starts to bubble. If necessary, place back on saute for this to happen. Enjoy!