Make this 21 Day Fix Cauliflower Cheeseburger “Mac” in the oven or in your Instant Pot…but make it now! It’s one of my favorite “no yellow” FIX approved meals! This post contains affiliate links for products I am obsessed with.
Confession #88 – I’ve been struggling on what to call this dish. To me, it’s a cross between Mac and Cheese and Hamburger Helper.
Except I’ve never had Hamburger Helper. And there is no “mac” with this cheese.
I’m not trying to be a food snob here when I say I’ve never had Hamburger Helper. I grew up in a house where my mom made everything herself – no boxed Kraft Mac and Cheese, no Chef Boyardee.
And the truth? I always wanted it.
Until I tasted Spaghetti-Os.
What a disappointment. You were right mom. You can say I told you so. Because you did. So. Many. Times.
Anyway, because I never tasted Hamburger Helper, I apologize if my description of this dish is off. But I promise you – it’s delicious regardless. And if you are a lover of cheese, you have to try it!
Just look at all of that cheesy goodness! And it is chock full of veggies, so you can have a huge helping of this dish without going over your containers. However you will still want more, so be sure you portion the extra away…and don’t say you haven’t been warned!
While this recipe was born out of total curiosity, I think it has also given me just what I need for a FIX approved Mac and Cheese recipe! Stay tuned for that one.
Until then, enjoy this cauliflower creation…it’s a new favorite in our house!
**And this has been updated to include Instant Pot directions because, well, it’s summer and I would much rather use the IP than turn on my oven. Plus only one pot to clean – woohoo! Give it a try and let me know which version you like better. Enjoy! <3
Cauliflower Cheeseburger “Mac”
- 1 lb lean grass fed ground beef
- 1 head cauliflower 4 cups of florets
- 4 teaspoons rice flour or flour of your choice
- 4 teaspoons vegan butter or ghee
- 1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese use Daiya for dairy free!
- Himalayan salt
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and preheat your oven to 350.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef until fully cooked. Drain any excess fat and place meat into the casserole dish. Wipe out your skillet.
- While you are cooking the beef, cut cauliflower into florets and steam 4 cups worth for about 6-8 minutes, or until tender on the outside but still crisp in the middle.
- In your skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk together. Slowly whisk in the almond milk, and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Once thickened, remove sauce from heat and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese until fully melted, adding salt to taste.
- Combine beef, cauliflower, and cheese sauce in the casserole dish and mix well. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Enjoy!
- Place head of cauliflower on trivet and add in one cup of water to the IP. Set to steam for ZERO minutes. Quick release after pot comes to pressure and carefully remove cauliflower.
- Cut into little florets and set aside. Drain water from IP and dry completely.
- Set to saute and add in ground beef. Brown until cooked through. Remove meat and set aside with the cauliflower florets.
- Wipe out IP and add in butter. Melt butter and whisk in the flour. Slowly whisk in the almond milk, and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Once thickened, remove steal pot from IP base (essentially removing the heat) and stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese until fully melted, adding salt to taste.
- Combine beef, cauliflower, and cheese sauce together and mix well. Top with remaining cheese and place back in the IP on warm. Place cover back on pot until the cheese topping melts and starts to bubble. If necessary, place back on saute for this to happen. Enjoy!
Easy to make, but it had no flavor at all. I will defiantly remake it but will add some other spices.
Hey girl! I forgot to get a head of cauliflower. What changes should I make if using frozen florets or frozen riced cauliflower? Maybe thaw and try to remove excess water? Thanks in advance!
Been making this one for years- both IP and oven depending on my mood. But I ALWAYS steam the cauli in the IP- so easy!! My husband requests this dinner every other week!
yummy even my picky eater ate it
YAYYYY! I am so happy!
Can leftovers be frozen.
Yes! I love freezing this recipe!
Will this work as a make ahead meal? I want to otepnit. Ow and bake it tonight!
Yes! It works perfect for that!
What are the counts on this? Can’t seem to find it on recipe!
In the recipe card!!
I am so excited to find your blog. This looks amazing. Do you think guar gum will work instead of flour?
Hi! I haven’t tried it, but it should actually work ok! And I’m so happy you found me, too! Hope the recipes help!
What size of casserole dish do you use?
Usually an 8X8 square pan!
How would you adjust this for 2BMindset? Also what do you serve with this typically??
I would use reduced fat cheddar and serve it with an extra side of veggies! Or maybe reduce the amount of meat and add in more cauliflower or broccoli!
Hi! this looks amazing! question though – will this be good as leftovers? it’s just me and like to “meal prep”. I’m thinking to have this every day for lunch next week but not sure how it holds up. Any have this over the course of a few days? Thanks!
Great question! And it’s SOOOO good leftover, so go for it!
Elizabeth Harcourt says
Do you think it would work okay with a bag of riced cauliflower instead?
If you used rice cauliflower, how much would you recommend? Still 4 cups?
Liz Hammelrath says
Hi Nancy! How do I portion this out for meal prep?
Hi Liz! Just divide your skillet into 4 equal servings to portion out!
My family LOVED this dish! It filled us up and curbed some of my cheese craving! Thank you!
Oh my gosh!!!!! Amazing dish!! I doubled the recipe and am SO glad I did!! I think I added a bit more cauliflower then I should have but that’s ok. I definitely am adding this to my favorite list!
That’s AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3
Stephanie Lichtenauer says
This is amazing! Growing up, my mom made Kraft in the blue box with cream of mushroom soup and ground beef. I miss it. This is a perfect replacement! Thank you!
YAY!!!! Love hearing this!!!
Is the instant pot quicker than prepping stovetop? I am doing shift shop and planning to make this for my family and I
Maybe just a little…but you won’t have to turn on the oven! And cleanup is easier!
Absolutely LOVE your blog and all your recipies! You are my go to whenever I need a recipy. This Cauliflower Cheeseburger Mac is certainly a “go to” when I am not sure what to make. Thank you and Keep up the amazing work!
Thank you for making my day!!!!!! Nothing makes me happier than hearing this!!!! <3 <3
I don’t know what’s more amazing…that you never had hamburger helper or the deliciousness of this dish! Super yummy, big hit- thanks for sharing!
Yay!! I know…someday I will need to try it!! It has everything I like all in one dish, lol!! 🙂
My daughter is allergic to almonds. What can I use for a substitute?
Whatever milk you have in your fridge will work! 🙂
Mary Cook says
My kids loved this! They wolfed it down and didn’t even notice it was cauliflower. We put a bit of ketchup and mustard in the mix before baking and served it with sliced pickles on top to make it more cheeseburger-y. Really yummy!
YAY!! And I am TOTALLY trying your additions – YUM!
Tracy fiebig says
How many calories?
To find nutrition info, my fitness pal is really helpful! I don’t include it because I don’t count calories….
This looks awesome!! I’m going to try it 🙂 what container do you use to measure your serving when eating it?
It’s 4 servings, so just divide your pan up before serving! It’s SO good and a huge serving – hope you love it!
Can regular butter and flour be used instead? I don’t have vegan butter or rice flour…
Absolutely! And it doesn’t change the counts at all 🙂
Awesome! Thank you!
Oh my gosh- your recipes! I hate how so many meals plans are SO plain for 21 day fix. What’s the point of eating if it doesn’t taste like anything?! So excited to try them all!!
I noticed you used almond milk but didn’t count a yellow. Do you not count almond milk? Just wondering! I definitely don’t follow it to a T. Who has time for that?!
I couldn’t agree more!! So happy you found my site and I really hope it’s helpful!! I don’t count almond milk, either – it’s really low in calories and just doesn’t make sense!!
How many will this serve?
This looks so good, can’t wait to try it! I’ll definitely be making two of these – one for momma and one for my little guy and include some pasta or rice for him. He’s one and a half and not watching his figure yet 😉
I do the same thing for my little guy! I use gluten free noodles and he loves it!
THIS WAS AMAZING and my children loved it!!!!! Thnk you for posting amazing recipes and helping me on this journey
You are SO welcome! Thanks for making my day with your comment! Best of luck to you!
Can I use frozen cauliflower instead of fresh? And just steam in microwave before I add to the pot?