This 21 Day Fix Pumpkin Pasta with Spicy Sausage is the perfect Fall family dinner! And if you haven’t had a savory pumpkin dish, this creamy and delicious pasta is a great one to try! Now with Weight Watchers points too! This post contains affiliate links for products I am obsessed with.
Confession #102- Halloween is over and I feel like everyone has moved onto Christmas.
And I’m over here like what happened to October? Or hell, September?
I love the Holiday season, but I just need time to slow down a little bit.
I hope you are like me, and still enjoying the beauty of Fall. And I really hope you aren’t over pumpkin yet.
If you are, can you make just one exception?
Because this creamy and savory pasta dish just can’t wait until next year.
I’m seriously so in love.
We used our favorite gluten free pasta and kept it dairy free until the end, with the Parmesan topping. You could easily leave it out, though, if you are sensitive like my son and use nutritional yeast instead. The full fat coconut milk gives it such a smooth and velvety texture without the dairy.
How to Count Pumpkin on the 21 Day Fix
There is some debate in the 21 Day Fix community about how to count Pumpkin Puree, purple or green. And Autumn counts the canned as purple, but fresh cubes as green.
I will tell you that I count it as a green.
I don’t claim to be right or to know more than anyone else. Especially Autumn.
It’s just what makes sense to me. And I trust the results I’ve had for these kinds of things.
The good news is, I added spinach and onions to this dish, as well, so it’s a FULL green. And I gave up two yellows for this, but it was totally worth it. A serving size is nearly two cups and it’s oh so filling.
What kind of Spicy Poultry Sausage do you buy?
I always look for a low sodium, lean poultry sausage for recipes like this and you also want it to be raw, not precooked. If you have a Wegmans nearby, I love their chicken sausage! If you can’t find something that fits the bill, you can make my homemade poultry sausage and it will still taste delicious!
The Spicy Chicken or Turkey Sausage is the perfect protein paring with the sauce, but I also made the sauce without it (and I left out the spinach, too) and stored it in my fridge.
You could even leave it meatless on a Monday if that’s your thing. Either way, I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
This 21 Day Fix Pumpkin Pasta with Spicy Sausage is the perfect Fall family dinner! And if you haven’t had a savory pumpkin dish, this creamy and delicious pasta is a great one to try!
- 2 tsp vegan or clarified butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb spicy Italian turkey or chicken sausage or use this recipe to make your own
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of full fat coconut milk (I love So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups of chopped baby spinach
- 1/3 cup of a good quality parmesan or pecorino romano
- 3 cups of cooked gluten free or whole grain pasta (2 cups raw for IP)
- Remove turkey sausage from casing and brown in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter with oil over medium-low heat, then add onions. Cook until onions are translucent and soft. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add pumpkin, chicken broth and salt to the onion mixture and stir until well combined. Add in coconut milk and reduce heat to low. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Stir in the spinach and sausage and cook over low heat until spinach wilts. Finally, add in pasta and top with cheese
- Set IP to saute and when it turns to hot, melt butter with oil then add onions, cooking until onions are translucent and soft. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove sausage from casing and add to the IP, browning until cooked through.
- Add pumpkin, chicken broth and salt to the meat and veggie mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add 2 cups of uncooked pasta. Lock lid and set to manual and cook for 2 minutes. Quick release when finished.
- After the steam releases and it’s safe to open the lid, stir in coconut milk and spinach, stirring until spinach wilts. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Top with cheese and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 1/2 YELLOW, 1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1/2 BLUE, 1 tsp (per serving)
WW link for personal points: Pumpkin Pasta with Spicy Sausage
- Serving Size: 1 3/4 cups
Keywords: pasta, sausage, instant pot, pumpkin, fall, winter, gluten-free