This Healthy Sausage, Bean, and Kale Skillet is so incredibly simple, you can have dinner on the table in WAY less than 30 minutes- and with only one pan to wash! It’s Gluten free, 21 Day Fix Approved, and also perfect for Weight Watchers. If kale isn’t your thing, this can easily be made with spinach!
Confession #75 – I’m freezing.
The weather here in PA has been nutty. Is it spring where you are? Because we seem to be confused here.
This 21 Day Fix Sausage, Bean, and Kale Skillet is pretty awesome, anyway. Comfort food all the way, and it has totally become one of my husband’s favorite meals.
It’s inspired by a recipe from a great blog I found called Budget Bytes. I love how her recipes are healthy, but simple and inexpensive. I have a new blogger crush! Check it out!
This Healthy Sausage, Bean, and Kale Skillet has SO much going for it.
And ready in about 20.
Oh – and, of course, it’s FIX approved!
There’s not much to even chop – especially if you are buying the bagged kale that is already washed and cut for you (which is totally a no brainer).
My son will eat this without the cheese, but the rest of us enjoy it with some delicious melty mozzarella. And it’s not a full blue, so if you want to also top this with some good parmesan, then go for it!
I don’t like Kale, can I sub spinach?
Totally! Use whatever greens you like or have on hand for this!
What kind of Italian Chicken Sausage should I buy for this?
You can actually use chicken OR turkey sausage for this and you are looking for a low sodium brand – I try to get it as close to 400mg of sodium as I can without being much over. If you are having trouble finding something, I have this easy homemade Italian Poultry Sausage Recipe!
So incredibly simple, you can have dinner on the table in WAY less than 30 minutes- and with only one pan to wash! If kale isn’t your thing, this can easily be made with spinach.
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 package Italian chicken sausage (or make your own)
- 3 cups of kale
- 1 cup of chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- Remove the sausage from the casings into a large skillet coated with cooking spray. Cook the sausage over medium heat until fully brown.
- While the sausage is cooking, remove the stems from the kale, chop it into strips, and add it to the skillet. Stir it into the sausage and continue to cook until it is fully wilted (this happens within a few minutes).
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add the chickpeas to the skillet and stir to combine. Pour the crushed tomatoes over the skillet, along with the spices and cook for 2-3 minutes before topping with cheese.
- Lower the heat to simmer and place a lid on the skillet until the cheese is melted (about 5-10 minutes).
Makes 4 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 GREEN, 1 RED, 1/2 YELLOW, 1/2 BLUE (per serving)
WW link for personal points: Sausage Bean and Kale Skillet
- Serving Size: 1/4 of skillet
Keywords: dinner, sausage, low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, skillet meal, one skillet