Healthy shepherd’s pie. Yes, there is such a thing! Lean turkey and vegetables, simmered in a rich gravy and topped with mashed potatoes blended with some secret cauliflower. It’s a 21 Day fix dinner to love! Now with Instant Pot directions! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Confession #60 – I consider this one of my biggest wins to date.
Regular readers of my blog know that my husband isn’t the easiest guy to “fool” with my fixed recipes.
Like the time I made faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower and thought they were delicious.
No. They taste healthy, he reminded me as he made a face.
Whatever. More for me.
Anyway, I have been dying to make a healthy shepherd’s pie dinner for us now that Fall is in full effect. Plus it’s one of my husband’s favorite meals.
I knew I could easily fix the meat part, but could I make a healthier mashed topping that tasted great? Straight cauliflower was obviously out. And so, like the good wife I am, I decided to compromise with my husband and use both cauliflower and mashed potatoes in the topping instead of going for just straight cauliflower.
And then I lied about it.
I waited until he gobbled up more than half of the pie and declared it “Thanksgiving on a Plate” before I broke the news to him.
I’ll tell you one thing – hearing about the secret cauliflower didn’t stop him from loving another helping. This was damn good.
And so, another win for me! But who’s counting?
Oh – that’s right. I am.
Enjoy this 21 Day Fix, healthy shepherd’s pie recipe!Print
This healthy comfort food dinner is just as hearty and satisfying as traditional shepherd’s pie. Made with lean turkey and mashed cauliflower “potatoes”, this dinner is 21 Day Fix approved!
- olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of Himalayan salt
- 3 T of tomato paste
- 1 lb organic lean ground turkey
- 2 cups of chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups of red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 T of vegan butter, olive oil, or ghee
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, then add in cauliflower. Boil for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, spray pan with cooking spray and cook veggies on low for 10 minutes or until they begin to soften, adding a few tablespoons of water to help them steam, if necessary.
- Add in turkey and cook through.
- Stir in chicken broth, 1/2 tsp of salt and tomato paste and continue to cook until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- When potatoes and cauliflower are finished, drain them well, then place in a food processor or mixer. Add in 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 T of olive oil, ghee or vegan butter and mix. If necessary, add in a tablespoon or two of chicken broth.
- Spray pie pan with cooking spray and fill first with the meat mixture, then with the potato/cauliflower mix. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
For the Instant Pot
- Set Instant Pot to saute and spray well with cooking spray. Add in ground turkey and brown until cooked through. Add in veggies and mix together well, cooking an additional two minutes.
- Remove meat and veggies from Instant Pot and transfer to a heat safe dish that fits into your IP. Stir in 1/3 cup of broth, tomato paste, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt. Cover with foil.
- Add cauliflower, potatoes, and 1 cup of broth to the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place trivet on top of potato and cauliflower mixture and place the dish with the turkey on top of the trivet. Cover and lock Instant Pot.
- Cook for 7 minutes on manual/pressure cook. Quick release and carefully remove the pot using the handles of the trivet or the foil sling.
- Drain the potato mixture, reserving the cooking broth. Mash right in the Instant Pot, or transfer to a Food Processor to blend. Add in 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 T of olive oil, ghee or vegan butter and mix. If necessary, add in a tablespoon or two of cooking broth.
- Top turkey mixture with potatoes and broil for a few minutes to brown the top, if desired. **If your dish isn’t broil safe, bake at 350 instead.
21 Day Fix: 1 YELLOW, 1 GREEN, 1 RED and 1 1/2 tsp per serving
WW Freestyle: 4 points per serving
Keywords: oven, poultry, comfort food, shepherd's pie, casserole, potatoes, vegetables, main dish, dinner, gluten-free, grain-free, turkey, high protein
Check out my Etsy Shop for 21 Day Fix eBooks with full grocery lists, prep tips, and easy to follow recipes!