Spicy sausage and veggies is a quick and easy, healthy, 21 Day Fix dinner. Turkey or chicken sausage is sauteed with fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, and zucchini, then topped with Parmesan cheese. SO delicious!
Confession #34 – I never intended to make this spicy sausage and veggies. But then I made it two nights…in a row.
It doesn’t look like much, but it was really SO yummy!
I actually planned to make a pot of meat sauce on Sunday with spicy chicken sausage and, well, that never happened. So instead, when I got home from work on Monday, I quickly chopped up some fresh veggies – mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini and onions and sautéed the chicken sausage. Then I brightened it up with some fresh lemon, basil, and shredded parmesean. And viola!
Not too shabby.
The best part? My tomato hating husband loved it, and ate EVERY tomato.
I’ve been loving quick, one pot meals where I can get my protein and my veggies in…and this one is perfect for that. So easy, but full of flavor!
Can’t find Turkey or Chicken Sausage at your grocery store? Make your own using this How to Make Homemade Italian Sausage with Ground Chicken or Turkey recipe!
Try this spicy sausage with veggies recipe and let me know what you think of it!
Spicy Sausage and Veggies
- 1 lb lean spicy turkey or chicken sausage
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups zucchini chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup tomatoes halved
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Fresh basil
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage casing and saute- or slice and cook if you prefer. Cook thoroughly and remove from pan.
- Spray pan with cooking spray. Sautee onions and garlic for a few minutes and then add the rest of the veggies. Cook for several minutes over low-medium heat until veggies are soft and to your liking (we like ours to retain some crunch).
- Add cooked sausage, oregano, and fresh basil, mix well. Then add juice of half a lemon.
- Portion out into four bowls and top with fresh basil and shredded parm! Yum!!