Packed with protein and veggies, this Instant Pot Sausage and Lentil Soup is delicious, 21 Day Fix approved, and totally filling thanks to a big, healthy portion size and some lean poultry sausage! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions are 100% mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Confessions of a Fit Foodie possible.
Confession #141 – One of the first meals I made as a teenager was lentil soup…and this involved me opening two cans of pre-made lentil soup and pouring them into a pot. In my defense, I would sauté garlic in olive oil and also add some cooked pasta in after I heated the soup. Oh, and I would top with fresh basil. So, really, when you are 16, I guess that counts as cooking.
I continued to make this meal when my husband and I first got married, too, and it was a quick and easy favorite of ours. Obviously once I started the Fix, this recipe was a no go, but now, thanks to my Instant Pot, making lentil soup from dried lentils is crazy fast and so much healthier! I used my favorite Bob’s Red Mill lentils for this.
Did you know Bob’s made lentils? They actually have all kinds of delicious, high quality dried beans which are awesome to use in IP recipes.
I added a ton of veggies to this because I love a big bowl of soup, but I don’t love parting with my precious containers, so gimme all the greens.
Twelve minutes on high pressure is all you need to cook this soup…total Instant Pot wizardry.
And after a quick release, I added some spinach the pot for even more greens, and added in fresh basil. My mom loves rosemary with her lentils, but I am not a fan on rosemary with anything. You could also add parsley or oregano. YUM!
Topping with fresh pecorino Romano is a MUST unless you are dairy free, but make sure you count your your blue container for this. I usually do a couple tablespoons on top.
And you will not need any bread for this because it’s SO filling on it’s own…we are talking TWO cups per serving people…but I couldn’t resist it for the pic because my grandma loved a good loaf of Italian bread with just about everything.
And that’s it! A perfectly delicious, yet healthy pot of comfort food for your dinner or prep ahead lunches from our favorite magical pot!
Thank you Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and use in my kitchen daily!Print
Packed with protein and veggies, this Instant Pot Sausage and Lentil Soup is delicious, 21 Day Fix approved, and totally filling thanks to a big, healthy portion size and some lean poultry sausage!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb of Italian Chicken or Turkey Sausage – spicy or sweet
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups of celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of zucchini, sliced in half moons
- 1 1/2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill dry lentils, rinsed very well (my lentils doubled – if your lentils triple, you can use 1 cup or make this 8 servings instead of 6)
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- fresh basil or sub dried
- Himalayan salt
- crushed red pepper
- Pecorino Romano cheese
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté and heat olive oil. Remove sausage from casing and brown until cooked through. Add in onion, celery, carrots, and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add zucchini and sauté another minute.
- Pour in lentils and chicken stock and give everything a good stir.
- Place lid on your IP and lock, setting for 12 minutes on manual. After cook time, do a quick release. Remove lid after the Instant Pot beeps and unlocks. Stir in spinach leaves until they wilt. Add in fresh basil to taste and salt and crushed red pepper, if desired. I find that salt isn’t needed due to the stock and the sausage, but if using sweet sausage, some crushed red pepper tastes great!
- Serve with Pecorino Romano (measured in your blue container) and enjoy!
- For STOVETOP – Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add in turkey sausage and brown until cooked through. Add in onions, carrots, and celery and cook until veggies are soft. Add garlic and zucchini and cook for an additional minute or two. Stir in stock and lentils, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 35 minutes or until lentils are soft. Add in spinach and herbs/seasonings. Serve with Pecorino Romano.
This makes 12 cups of soup and serves 6. Serving size is 2 cups. Each serving is 1 1/3 GREEN, 3/4 RED, 1 YELLOW, 1/3 tsp. If you are using cheese, be sure to measure your blue.
This can easily be adapted for 80 Day obsession by using 2 cups less veggies, 1/2 lb more sausage and 4 tsp additional olive oil. Then it will be 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow, and 1 tsp per serving
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points – 3 per serving (more for cheese)
- Serving Size: 2 cups of soup
Keywords: soup, lentils, sausage, gluten-free, high-protein, instant pot