This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Confession #93 – I’m not the only one who is unwilling to admit summer is over.
Despite the fact that Halloween and Pumpkin everything is taking over the planet, my summer garden is still hanging around…totally in denial of the impending change of seasons.
My tomato plants, especially, will not quit, and I am always looking for yummy ways to use them before they get too ripe.
Enter this easy Caprese Chicken!
I’m so in love with this dish.
For those of you who have made my 21 Day Fix Balsamic Chicken with Zoodles, this meal is very similar. I wanted to see, though, what would happen if I used some of my fresh tomatoes in place of the canned stuff.
Oh my word. Delish!
And so easy. The most time consuming part is halving the tomatoes, so this can be easily assembled quickly before bed or early in the morning before work.
When your busy day is over, you will come home to the amazing smell of effortless cooking, which is always the best kind for a weeknight.
Throw some shredded mozzarella and basil on top and dig in! We served ours over brown rice, but it could be eaten alone, with pastsa, zoodles or whatever your heart desires. A perfectly yummy, let light end of Summer meal!
Serving Size: 1 piece of chicken with 1 cup of tomatoes/sauce
- 1/2 large, yellow onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 1/2 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray - I used my EVO.
- Add sliced onions and garlic to the bowl and then cover with chicken breasts.
- Add chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, crushed red pepper (if using), salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Add basil and top with grated mozzarella cheese. Turn slow cooker on high and cover until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with brown rice, quinoa, whole grain or gf pasta, or zoodles! Yum!
21 Day Fix Container Count:
1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1/2 BLUE