This 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Caprese Chicken is amazing in both the Instant Pot and the Crock Pot, making it a perfect warm weather dinner when you don’t want to heat up the kitchen! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with. Confession #93 – I’m not the only one who is unwilling to admit summer is over. Despite the fact that Halloween and Pumpkin everything is taking over the planet, my summer garden is still hanging around…totally in denial of the impending change of seasons. Yay, right? My tomato plants, especially, will not quit, and I am always looking for yummy ways to use them before they get too ripe. And with the Back to School craziness, I am also always on the hunt for a good crock pot or instant pot recipe to make sure that dinner actually makes it way to the table. Enter this easy Caprese Chicken! I’m so in love with this dish. For those of you who have made my 21 Day Fix Balsamic Chicken with Zoodles, this meal is very similar. I wanted to see, though, what would happen if I used some of my fresh tomatoes in place of the canned stuff. Oh my word. Delish! And so easy. The most time consuming part is halving the tomatoes, so this can be easily assembled quickly on food prep day, before bed the night before, or early in the morning before work. When your busy day is over, you will come home to the amazing smell of effortless cooking, which is always the best kind for a weeknight, right? Throw some shredded mozzarella and basil on top and dig in!
We served ours over seasoned brown rice, but it could be eaten alone, with pasta, zoodles or whatever your heart desires. A perfectly yummy, let light end of Summer meal!Print
- 1/2 large yellow or red onion, sliced
- 3–4 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 1/2 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (3 tbsp. for the IP)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- cooking oil spray
- For the slow cooker: Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray – I used my EVO. Add sliced onions and garlic to the bowl and then cover with chicken breasts. Add chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, crushed red pepper (if using), salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Add basil and top with grated mozzarella cheese. Turn slow cooker on high and cover until the cheese has melted. Serve with brown rice, quinoa, whole grain or gf pasta, or zoodles! Yum!
- For the Instant Pot: Spray your Pressure Cooker with cooking oil spray and hit the saute function. Saute your onions until they begin to caramelize. Turn off saute and add in garlic and chicken, then top chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, crushed red pepper (if using), salt and pepper. Cover and set to manual for 15 minutes. After cook time, carefully switch to quick release and open the top of your pressure cooker when all the steam has released. Switch to saute and add in the mozzarella cheese and basil. Cook on saute until the cheese melts (2-3 minutes). Serve with brown rice, quinoa, whole grain or gf pasta, or zoodles! Yum!
21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1/2 BLUE, 1/2 tsp per serving
Weight Watchers Free Style Points – 3 points per serving
- Serving Size: 1 piece of chicken with 1 cup of tomatoes/sauce
Keywords: dinner, instant pot, slow cooker, italian, chicken, low carb, gluten-free