This post may contain affiliate links for products I am obsessed with.
These 21 Day Fix Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes are just as tasty as the original, but dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and perfectly portion controlled! The perfect summertime dessert!
Confession #117 – I was faced with a tough decision last month…and it gave me all the mom guilt.
My annual girls weekend and my daughter’s first ever dance recital happened to be on the SAME weekend. You guys, I agonized over this one. In fact, if you know me, I probably talked your ear off about this.
In the end, I decided to join my girls in Nashville for 36 hours and then I hopped an early am plane (hello, hangover) to come home on Saturday in time to see my little girl on stage. By some miracle, my flight left on time and all was well. In fact, it made me feel like Supermom. Look at me! I CAN do it all.
Anyway, these adorable clean treats are inspired by my amazing BFFs who I was lucky enough to meet my freshman year in college.
Say what you want about sororities, but twenty years later (damn, I’m old), we still have an incredible bond and we pick up right where we left off each time we are lucky enough to be together.
Because our colors are gold and white, our official cake is the Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I don’t know much about other sororities, but I am pretty proud to belong to one that has their own cake. And each year before pledging started, we would make a huge Thanksgiving style dinner with Pineapple Upside Down Cakes for dessert.
Of course we used vanilla cake mix for the cakes and tons of sugar and butter. I mean, we were 18 and so were our metabolisms. But I am totally serious when I say these clean and healthier versions totally deliver and taste just as delicious as the original. And with almond flour as the base, these are actually low carb and paleo friendly.
I even found these awesome Maraschino Cherries at my local grocery store that are dye free and no artificial anything. You could easily leave them out, though, or even use a fresh or freeze dried cherry! Yum! For container purposes, I am just calling these a yellow treat…this is just the way I roll. Feel free to count them differently if you see fit.
My kids and my husband (including my daughter who HATES pineapple) love these and actually asked for them twice since I made them. I served them on Mother’s Day this year and they were a huge hit. If you give them a try, let me know what you think!
Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- coconut oil or coconut oil spray
- 1 T coconut flour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup plus 2 T
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 pineapple rings
- 1/3 cup of pineapple juice reserved from can
- 4 tsp vegan butter or coconut oil
- Grease 6 muffin tins liberally with coconut oil or coconut oil spray and preheat oven 350. Place 1 pineapple ring in each tin.
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/3 cup maple syrup, pineapple juice from can, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Melt butter or coconut oil and mix in 2 T of maple syrup. Drizzle over pineapple rings, then pour batter into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool, then carefully use a butter knife around the edges of the cake to release. Flip pan over carefully to release cupcakes. Top with a cherry in the center!
21 Day Fix Container Count:
1 YELLOW treat swap per cupcake