I’m so excited about these butternut squash latkes.
I’ve seen sweet potato latkes before, but sweet potato is a yellow.
And so I had a thought. If sweet potato works, would butternut squash? I mean- they taste practically the same. But butternut squash is a #GREEN.
It freaking worked.
I used my Paderno to shred butternut squash and then I added some diced onion, garlic, salt, pepper and one egg.
I used a scant 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil along with cooking spray to fry them and WOW.
Amazing butternut squash latkes.
And I topped them with a little Greek yogurt. Yuuuuuum.
I need to go make some more.
- 2 cups of butternut squash, shredded or spiralized
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 T diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- olive oil cooking spray
- In a large bowl, mix together squash, eggs, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Coat a a large nonstick pan with cooking spray, then heat over medium-low heat. When it gets hot, add a half teaspoon of olive oil and swirl around the pan.
- Gently add about 1/3 cup of the squash mixture to the pan, lightly pressing down with a fork. Add two more to the pan and cook until golden on the bottom (about three minutes). Flip. Use the spatula to press down and flatten. Cook about 3 more minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pan and repeat with the remaining squash mixture.
- Serve warm. Great topped with Greek yogurt!
3 latkes – 1 GREEN, 1/2 RED, 1/2 tsp
- Serving Size: 3 latkes
Keywords: side, appetizer, latkes, butternut squash, winter squash, low-carb, grain-free, gluten-free, vegetarian
Are you doing a round of the 21 Day Fix? Don’t do it alone – let me coach you! Contact me at trueconfessionsofafitfoodie AT gmail DOT com to join my current challenge group. The group offers daily motivation, recipe ideas, and the support of over 200 women. Check out my Etsy Shop for 21 Day Fix eBooks with full grocery lists, prep tips, and easy to follow recipes!