So dreamy delicious, this 21 Day Fix Banana Bread is dairy, gluten, refined sugar, and oil free…but rivals even the best unhealthy banana breads of my past.
Confession #143: Although I feel the most at home in my kitchen, I am not usually much of a baker.
I mean – I can follow a recipe…but coming up with my own cake, muffin, or cookie recipe usually takes me a million tries. Especially because there is definitely a learning curve for gluten and dairy free baking.
That’s why this banana bread is such an enigma.
I mean, I decided to make it on a total whim.
It was cold. We didn’t have plans. I had ripe bananas. And so we gave it a whirl…using the ingredients I had on hand.
I didn’t take any in process pics because I honestly had no idea how it was going to taste…especially since I made a last minute decision to ditch the butter.
I debated using coconut oil, but then I thought about how delicious banana bread is with peanut butter drizzled over top. And so in an effort to hoard the all teaspoons, I went with unsweetened applesauce at the last minute…which I squeezed out of my son’s applesauce pouch, lol.
And while I love to bake with almond flour, I decided to use Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Gluten-free all purpose flour for this one to keep it easy for non-gluten free people who want to sub whole wheat pastry flour.
Anyway – enough about my process…let’s talk about the end result.
Omg, you guys…this bread is so freaking dreamy delicious and rivals any other gluten and sugar filled banana bread that I’ve ever had. It’s the kind of bread you wrap up and give as a present. Or make for your BFF when she comes to visit. Or give to the new mom in your neighborhood. It’s totally giftable.
It was so good, that most of my photos have tiny fingers in them…because my kids were literally begging to eat it. To the point that I finally gave in and we ate pieces of banana bread right on the living room floor where I was attempting a quick photoshoot.
I thought about taking new pics for you all, but thanks to the wonderful readers on my Facebook page who talked me out of it, I decided to just post the recipe so you can get baking asap!
Oh – and I used chocolate chips for ours, so my bread is a treat swap…but if you stir in some walnuts or raisins, you can eat this bread for breakfast and not use up a treat. It’s super low in sugar, so it’s perfectly on plan to eat this way every day! I’l explain how to count these different options in the recipe card below!
Yields: 8 slices
Serving Size: 1 slice
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 rounded cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium or 2 large bananas - and get them super ripe and sweet)
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free all purpose flour (or sub whole wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat flour)
- optional mix-ins: 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I used mini chips),
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or grease well with coconut oil or coconut oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the applesauce and honey together together. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and almond milk.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Then fold in the flour, mixing just until the batter is combined.
- If you’re adding any additional mix-ins, gently fold them in now.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Makes 8 slices 1 slice of bread with chocolate chips as a mix in = 1 yellow treat swap, 1/2 purple 1 slice of bread with walnuts = 1 yellow, 1/2 purple, 1/2 blue, 2 SWEETENER tsps 1 slice of bread with raisins = 1 yellow, 2/3 purple, 2 SWEETENER tsps 1 slice of bread with no mix ins = 1 yellow, 1/2 purple, 2 SWEETENER tsps