So quick and easy – this 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Apple Crisp is fast enough for a weekday dessert (or breakfast), but delicious enough for the Holidays.This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions are 100% mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make Confessions of a Fit Foodie possible.
Omg. You guys.
This apple crisp. It’s dangerous.
Not because it’s unhealthy…no, it’s actually really good for you.
But it’s so freaking easy and quick to make, I keep making it. It’s safe to say, all of my purples, yellows, and blues have gone to this delicious treat. I have been slow to venture into the world of Instant Pot desserts, but this recipe has me believing!
Is this Instant Pot Apple Crisp Gluten Free?
Yes! Because all the treats in my house must be gluten and dairy free, I turned to some of my favorite Bob’s Red Mills products to help me out. I’m a traditionalist when it comes to Apple Crisp, so I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats for the topping, but I also added my all time fav – the Super Fine Almond Flour – in place of traditional white flour. If you are a regular follower of my blog, you know I’m a huge fan of this product. It’s what I used in my 21 Day Fix Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes and my Clean Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cake. Amazing texture and the perfect mild, nutty flavor for all sorts of yummy, gluten free baking.
What kind of Apples should I use for this Instant Pot Apple Crisp?
I used Honeycrisp apples for this recipe, but it would also be delicious with Granny Smith or even Pink Ladies, which are in season this time of the fall. Also, you can see in this pic that I left my peels on the apples…this, I’ll admit, was out of total laziness, but holy cow, I will never do it the old way again. The filling had such a pretty color and I swear the peel gave it extra flavor and sweetness. So, your choice, but I highly recommend this shortcut.
And while butter is allowed in small amounts on the FIX, my little guy is dairy free, so I used coconut oil in the crumb topping. I am not lying when I say I like it better than the butter version. Pinky swear.
How to Make Healthy Instant Pot Apple Crisp
I decided to use the Pot In Pot (or PIP) method for this Apple Crisp because I really didn’t want my apples to get waterlogged at the bottom of my pot. I saw other recipes that just threw them into the steel insert, but I don’t trust it. Plus, I wanted the option to brown my crisp topping afterwards. And I went with these cute ramekins (like them? get some here or look for them at Home Goods) to keep me from eating the whole thing, but you can use whatever pot insert you want for this…just make sure it’s oven safe!
I set my Instant Pot for 7 minutes for this kind of apple. If you are using a softer apple, like Gala or Macintosh, I would recommend less time or your Apple Crisp will turn into Apple Sauce. I had to stack my ramekins like this, but no biggie…and I also didn’t cover them. Again – lazy.
After the cooktime was up, I did a quick release and carefully transferred my little ramekins onto a baking sheet. Because I listen to my readers and apparently a crispy top was a must, I broiled them for just a few minutes and watched them like a hawk so they didn’t burn. It’s a fine line between beautifully golden and a burned dessert, let me tell you! Anyway, I also wanted to say that these are also SO good straight from the pot, too. Your call!
And I didn’t want to do a heavy coconut whipped topping for this, but my kids go bananas when I top them with the coconut cream drizzle that I used in my Cinnamon Bun French Toast Cups. It’s super easy to make, but you can do without if you don’t have coconut milk on hand.
Can I make this Apple Crisp in the Oven?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot (WHY???), you could bake this on 350 for about 40 minutes or until the apples are bubbly and the topping is golden brown. And while it’s baking, go onto Amazon and commit to an IP for goodness sakes! <3
Is this Instant Pot Apple Crisp Weight Watchers Friendly?
Yes, but I would skip the coconut cream topping and use something more point friendly or just leave it off! Without the cream topping, this is 9 Free Style points per serving!
Thank you Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post. It means so much to me to work with brands that I love and use in my kitchen daily!Print
So quick and easy – this 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Apple Crisp is fast enough for a weekday dessert (or breakfast), but delicious enough for the Holidays.
For the apples
- 4 cups of diced Honeycrisp Apples
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
For the crisp topping
- 2/3 cup of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1/3 cup of Bob’s Red Mill Superfine Almond Flour
- 9 pecans, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 T of honey
- 4 tsp of coconut oil, melted
For the coconut cream drizzle
- 3 T of coconut cream (or the creamy part of coconut milk)
- 1 T of honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Mix honey, cinnamon, lemon zest and lemon juice with diced apples. Set aside.
- For the crisp topping, whisk honey with the melted coconut oil. Mix oats, pecans, almond flour, cinnamon and salt together, then stir in the honey and coconut oil.
- Place apples in ramekins or other oven safe dish of your choice. Top evenly with crisp topping.
- Add one cup of water to the steel insert of the Instant Pot, then place trivet insert in. Lay ramekins on top of trivet. It’s ok to stack them like I did if you need to. **If you want to cook the apple crisp right in the steel inner pot, just add 1/2 cup of water to the pot, then add apples followed by the crisp topping.
- Set IP for 7 minutes. After cooktime, do a quick release.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to broil.
- When it’s safe to remove ramekins from the Instant Pot, place them on a cookie sheet into a square and place under the broiler. Watch them carefully, and remove just as the crisp topping starts to brown.
- Let the Apple Crisp sit and cook for around ten minutes before eating.
- For the coconut drizzle, just mix the coconut cream, honey and vanilla together. Drizzle evenly over Apple Crisp.
Each serving is 1 Purple, 1/2 Yellow, 1/3 Blue and 1 tsp.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe or 1 ramekin
Keywords: dessert, apples, fruit, apple crisp, whole grains, gluten-free, dairy-free