This Instant Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta is the perfect quick and delicious dinner for your busy weeknights! Just two minutes of cook time and super easy cleanup thanks to the IP! This post contains affiliate links for products I am obsessed with.
Confession #144 – We’ve been eating this dish a lot for the past few months. No idea why I am just sharing it with you now.
It’s a simple dish…nothing new or earth shattering about it, except for the fact that my husband actually eats it…all of it…including the broccoli.
Which is pretty earth shattering, actually.
Aside from this dish, the only other dinner that gets him remotely interested in broccoli is my Beef and Broccoli and I can’t blame him with that one – I mean, delicious beef in that sweet and savory sauce? Yeah – I think you could put up with some broccoli for that.
This Sausage and Broccoli Pasta reminds him of this Italian Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe that is super famous here in Philadelphia with all of it’s garlicky goodness.
For me, this dinner tastes like home as I grew up eating Macaroni and Broccoli…we also ate Macaroni and Cauliflower, Macacori and Peas…we pretty much ate Macaroni with all the things. We love our yellows.
I made this for the first time on a busy Saturday night – around the time I was testing that Beef and Broccoli. We were thisclose to getting take out, but last minute I decided to throw what we had in the fridge in the IP instead and we both LOVED it. And my youngest did, too. I left the crushed red pepper off of his.
And I have made this dinner lots of times with both sweet and spicy chicken sausage and we love it both ways, so you can pick what will work for your family. Can’t find Turkey or Chicken Sausage at your grocery store? Make your own using this How to Make Homemade Italian Sausage with Ground Chicken or Turkey recipe!
My brown rice pasta usually cooks in two minutes, but every so often I open the pot after a quick release and some of my pasta is still a little crunchy. If that’s the case, I just give it a stir and pop the lid back on for a couple of minutes. That usually helps. I would much rather undercook a bit than overcook…no mushy pasta for this girl!
Oh – and I tend to use a little less broccoli in this because of my husband…and I serve this dish with a side salad. You can easily add more and make this a perfect 1 green. I included this in the notes!
If you decide to give this a try, let me know what you think and don’t forget to use the #confessionsofafitfoodie so I can see your creations on social! I love it! <3Print
This Instant Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta is the perfect quick and delicious dinner for your busy weeknights! Just two minutes of cook time and super easy cleanup thanks to the IP!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb spicy or sweet Italian poultry sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked gluten free pasta
- 2–4 cups of fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth or stock
- crushed red pepper
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese (can omit for WW)
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add oil to the bottom of your pan. Brown poultry sausage until cooked through. Add in garlic and onion add cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in stock, broccoli, and pasta. Lock lid and set cook time for 2 minutes.
- After cooktime is through, do a quick release and open the lid after it unlocks. Give everything a stir and check the pasta to see if it’s cooked to your liking. If it needs a little more time, just place the lid back for a minute or two, and the pasta will cook in the heat.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper for a little heat (or not) and top evenly with Parmesan cheese before serving. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings – 1 1/4 cup each if using 2 cups broccoli; 1 3/4 cup each if using 4 cups broccoli
21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1/2 to 1 GREEN (depending on how much broccoli you use), 1 YELLOW, 1/2 BLUE, 1/2 tsp (per serving)
WW: Green, Blue, Purple – 10 points (per serving) *Can reduce to 8 points on all plans if not using cheese.[Calculated using store bought lean turkey sausage and GF penne pasta]
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 cups - see notes