This delicious Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli is a healthier spin on the take-out favorite! It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, 21 Day Fix approved, and oh-so-easy-to make in the Instant Pot! This post contains affiliate links to products I’m obsessed with.
While I have high hopes for 2018, so far it’s been, well…cold. And I’ve also been sick, so my plans to get back on track workout wise might be derailed at the moment.
And I probably shouldn’t be typing up a blog post right now with this crazy headache…please forgive whatever typos you might see…but I shared a pic of this new Beef and Broccoli recipe in our 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Community and let’s just say there was a lot of excitement.
Since I don’t like to keep you all waiting…and since sleep is impossible with this annoying cough, I am attempting to get this out to you tonight. And really, as far as Instant Pot recipes go, this one is SO easy! I sautéed up some shallots and garlic, then added some thinly sliced flank steak with a delicious and quick sauce using coconut aminos, broth, and some honey. Lots of people ask about Coconut Aminos – this is the brand I use and get at my local market. It’s a much healthier sub for soy sauce, but if you can’t find it, you can pick up some low sodium soy sauce!
The meat gets cooked alone in the Instant Pot because broccoli turns to mush pretty quickly under pressure. After a partial natural release, I quick released (same technique as my Flank Steak Tacos) and then I thickened the sauce with a slurry, which is just a fancy name for mixing a flour type thickener (I use arrowroot) with some of the cooking broth.
After that, the broccoli goes in raw and you just pop the lid back on and go set the table or help your kids finish homework…or just mindlessly scroll facebook for a few. Whatever you feel like doing.
And 5-10 minutes later you have perfectly cooked broccoli! Yay! Now of course you can feel free to microwave yourself some frozen broccoli instead – whatever is easiest for you!
I thought I would take more pictures of this over rice…it’s SO delicious that way…but again…sick and this week just got away from me. You could also serve it with quinoa or cauliflower rice! Yum!
As always, if you make this, let me know what you think! I LOVE hearing from you!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds of flank steak, sliced very thin against the grain
- 1/2 cup diced shallots (about one whole shallot)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2/3 cup beef stock (or sub water)
- 1/3 cup of coconut aminos (or sub low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 T plus 1 tsp honey
- 3 1/2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1/2 T arrowroot or your favorite thickener/flour (cornstarch also works well)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- crushed red pepper
- Whisk coconut aminos, beef stock, honey and fresh ginger together. Set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute. When it’s hot, add olive oil and shallots and sauté until they begin to soften and become fragrant. Add in garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Pour stock mixture into the IP and add in sliced flank steak. Cover and lock your Instant Pot and set to manual/pressure cook for 12 minutes. When cook time is up, allow to naturally release for 5 minutes before finishing with a quick release.
- Carefully take off the lid and remove 1 cup of the cooking liquid and make a slurry by whisking in 1/2 T of arrowroot starch. Mix until well combined and then return to pot. Set IP to sauté and stir until the sauce begins to thicken. Repeat slurry process if necessary (it wasn’t for me) . Stir in salt. Turn pot to keep warm.
- Add in chopped broccoli florets and stir everything together. Place lid on IP and give the broccoli 5-10 minutes to steam from the heat of the pot.
- When broccoli is to desired tenderness, garnish with some scallions, crushed red pepper, and additional grated ginger if desired (I did all three).
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
~ 3/4 cup each
1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1/2 tsp
Weight Watchers FS Points – 6 per serving
Keywords: asian, instant pot, beef, broccoli, dinner, lunch, gluten-free