Confession # 82 – I totally planned to get this recipe out by Mother’s Day. What am I? A week late?
The good thing? You really don’t need a holiday breakfast or special brunch to make this delicious casserole – in fact, it makes a great weeknight dinner!
Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner?
I have a similar recipe that I have made many times and it’s always a hit, but it calls for a whole bag of frozen hash brown potatoes…and since starting the 21 Day Fix, I just have higher standards. I thought about making my own hash browns to make it work, but the ladies in my accountability group gave me the perfect idea…why not try cauliflower rice instead? The texture is so similar to potatoes, it was totally worth trying!
I researched a bit, and it turns out this recipe actually exists on the blog, Cupcakes and Kale Chips. Isn’t it awesome when you find out your big idea exists in the world already?
Anyway, I changed it slightly to make this totally FIX approved and, after 6 hours, we had a delicious, gluten free and low carb breakfast-for-dinner waiting for us. Gotta love crockin!
Yum! And it will definitely feed a crowd or make enough for breakfast all week.Print
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, shredded or riced in a food processor
- additional salt and pepper to season the layers
- up to one small onion, diced (can omit or use less)
- up to one small bell pepper, diced (can omit or use less)
- 8 slices of low sodium, all natural turkey bacon (look for one without nitrates) cooked and diced (you could also sub 6 links of all natural turkey sausage)
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- Spray your crock pot with olive or coconut oil spray.
- Mix eggs, almond milk, dry mustard, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Place about a third of the shredded/riced cauliflower in an even layer in the bottom of the slow cooker, and top with about a third of the onion and bell pepper. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, the top with about a third of the bacon and a third of the cheese. Repeat the layers two more times.
- Pour the egg mixture over the contents of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until eggs are set and the top is browned. Yum!
1 GREEN 1 RED 1 BLUE
- Serving Size: 1/6 of crock
Keywords: breakfast, slow cooker, casserole, eggs, vegetables, bacon, turkey