This Classic Chicken Salad with Grapes is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next summer picnic! Loaded with juicy chicken, tart slices of granny smith apples, sweet red grapes, crunchy celery, and just a touch of mayo and greek dressing to hold it all together, this classic summer sandwich is taken to the next level. It’s perfect for meal prep, a potluck, or simply serve it for lunch on a sunny afternoon. This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
I have been making this chicken salad for years – ever since my 20s when my roommate made it for me; her dad owned a deli and this apparently was one of his signature salads. She whipped it up in the little kitchen in our apartment one day for lunch and I was hooked after one bite and I am pretty sure I packed it for my work lunch on the reg for many days after.
Loaded with juicy chicken, tart slices of granny smith apples, sweet red grapes, crunchy celery, and just a touch of mayo and greek dressing to hold it all together, this 21 Day Fix approved Chicken Salad is delish any way – over lettuce, on a cracker, with some bread, spooned directly into my mouth. Any way I can eat it, I am in.
It’s also amazing for meal prep – especially during the warm weather months!
Ingredients for this Chicken Salad with Grapes Recipe
This Classic Chicken Salad is light and flavorful. Plus there’s a great crunch to it thanks to all the yummy mix-ins! Here’s whatcha need:
- boneless chicken breast – You can substitute tenderloins if you have those on hand. You’ll need about a pound either way.
- chicken broth – Low sodium is key, but you could also sub water.
- apple – One medium apple will do! Peel and cut into small cubes. My favorites are granny smith, pink lady, or honey crisp.
- red grapes – Make sure you grab the seedless kind and cut them in half.
- celery – I love the crunch the chopped celery adds to the chicken salad.
- mayo – You’ll notice this recipe only uses a small amount of mayonnaise as our base. Because mayo is so high in fat, I like to keep the amount down while still keeping the classic flavor.
- Greek yogurt – By using Greek yogurt as well as the mayo, you’re able to combine everything together with the same sort of base “dressing” without the high calories of only using mayo! You could leave this out for dairy free or sub avocado!
- salt and pepper – To taste.
- pecans – This is optional but it does add a nice taste and texture. Walnuts are another great addition (or substitution)!
- mixed greens – For serving.
This Chicken Salad is also gluten free! Looking for a Dairy Free version? I love my Avocado Chicken Salad!
How To Make Chicken Salad
Chicken Salad is a breeze with just a few simple steps!
- First up, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken (whether breasts or tenders) in broth or water in your Instant Pot on Manual for 15 minutes, plus a full, natural release. You can also bake in the oven, poach on the stovetop, or cook on low for 4-6 hours in your crock pot if you don’t have an Instant Pot.
- Drain the chicken well, then dice or shred.
3. Toss your chicken, grapes, apples, and celery together.
4. Mix together Greek yogurt and mayo, then gently add it to the chicken mixture.
5. Season with salt and pepper and top with nuts, if desired.
6. Serve over mixed greens, on bread or on a multigrain roll, or with crackers and enjoy!
How long will the Classic Chicken Salad stay fresh?
Chicken salad will stay fresh in the fridge for about a week. Just be sure to keep it in an airtight container. You may want to add a bit more Greek yogurt or mayo after a day or two to rejuvenate it.
Are there any variations to the recipe?
You can add in or take away whatever you want! Some great additions include avocado, red or green onions, dried cranberries, or maybe even diced pineapple or mandarins. You could add toasted almonds or candied pecans. You can even substitute the mayo for smashed avocados. And I know this recipe is for chicken salad, but it’s SO good with tuna, too!
Looking for more warm weather lunch ideas? Check these out:Print
This classic Chicken Salad with Grapes is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your next summer picnic! Loaded with juicy chicken, tart slices of granny smith apples, sweet red grapes, crunchy celery, and just a touch of mayo and greek dressing to hold it all together, this classic summer sandwich is taken to the next level. It’s perfect for meal prep, a potluck, or simply serve it for lunch on a sunny afternoon.
1lb boneless chicken breast or tenderloins
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 medium apple, peeled and cut into small cubes (I used Granny Smith)
1 cup red seedless grapes, cut in half
1/2 cup celery, chopped
3 T mayo
2 T Greek yogurt
salt, pepper, and garlic powder
2 tbsp pecans or walnuts
For serving – mixed greens, gluten-free or multigrain bread, crackers, a spoon
If your chicken is raw, prep this first. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In your Instant Pot – add 1 cup of broth or water and your raw chicken breast. Cook for 15 minutes and do a full natural release. Drain well and shred.
- In your oven- cook chicken breast on 350 for 30 minutes. Let cool and dice.
- On your stovetop – cover chicken with broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes before dicing or shedding and drain well.
For the Chicken Salad:
- Drain chicken well, then dice or shred.
- Toss chicken, grapes, apples, and celery together.
- Mix greek yogurt and mayo, then gently add it to the chicken mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with nuts, if desired.
Makes 4 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1/2 PURPLE, 1 ORANGE, ¼ BLUE (if you use the nuts), and trace GREEN (I sometimes add extra celery and some red onion to make it ¼ or ½ green) per serving
WW: Green – 6 points, Blue – 3 points, Purple – 3 points (per serving)
Keywords: Chicken Salad with Grapes, Chicken Salad Recipe, Chicken Salad