This Healthy Lemon Blueberry Bread blends the flavors of fresh blueberries and zesty lemon juice to bring you a delicious treat that tastes like spring and summer. Not only is this lemon blueberry loaf gluten free, but it’s also dairy and refined sugar free. Perfect as a dessert, for breakfast, or just an afternoon snack! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Healthy Lemon Blueberry Bread
Guys, this healthy lemon blueberry loaf is practically sunshine in a pan. There’s something about the spring and summer months that have me craving fruit and citrus flavors while soaking up the sun. Thankfully this recipe satisfies those cravings in a delectable and deviously healthy way! I could snack away the whole loaf by myself!
I shared this recipe in my Ask the Fit Foodie Group and it has been a HUGE hit. And with no dairy, no refined sugars, and no gluten, this dessert is perfect for everyone.
Ingredients for Healthy Lemon Blueberry Loaf
If you love my Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins, you’ll go crazy for my healthy homemade lemon blueberry bread!
- oat flour – you can actually make your own oat flour by using a food processor or high speed blender and rolled oats. Just be sure to blend until the oats become a fine powder. Super easy!
- almond flour – I love using Bob’s Red Mill Superfine Almond Flour; be sure your almond flour is tightly packed.
- salt – did you know that most baked good recipes call for salt in order to enhance and brighten the flavor? This one is no different!
- baking soda – I choose baking soda over baking powder here because baking soda works better combined with acidic ingredients like the lemon juice.
- egg – one egg is just enough to stabilize your loaf.
- pure maple syrup – you can substitute honey here if you prefer, but I enjoy the unique flavor the maple syrup brings.
- vanilla extract – a classic staple!
- unsweetened vanilla almond milk – you can substitute the milk of your choice if almond milk isn’t your go to.
- coconut oil – avocado oil also works great. If you choose coconut, be sure to melt it prior.
- fresh lemon juice – I think 2 tablespoons brings a nice balance of flavor, but you could swap out 2T of the milk for an additional 2T of lemon juice.
- zest from one lemon – be careful to only get the lemon zest and not the whites of the lemon to avoid bitterness.
- fresh blueberries – here’s a tip, you can coat with a teaspoon of almond flour to prevent them from sinking down to the bottom of the batter! Don’t have fresh, you can sub frozen blueberries in this bread!
How to make this Healthy Lemon Blueberry Loaf
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan or 8×8 inch cake pan with parchment paper. You could even make these into muffins for an easy, on the go version!
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the egg, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond milk, coconut oil, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth and well combined. Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold blueberries into batter (careful not to crush them), then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool. Serve and enjoy!
How to store this loaf
For maximum freshness, store the lemon blueberry loaf in your refrigerator for about four days. You can even freeze the bread! Great for making ahead while fresh blueberries are in season!
Is this Lemon Blueberry Bread recipe gluten free?
It sure is! Gluten free, dairy free, and no refined sugars! Good for you and absolutely delicious. Even if gluten isn’t a concern for you, I still highly recommend this recipe for the taste and for the great protein!
Can I make this loaf with other types of berries?
Absolutely! Try switching out the blueberries for fresh strawberries or raspberries. Maybe blackberries? Or a combination of berries? You could even try substituting the lemon juice and zest for orange or lime. With all of those variations, this loaf recipe can get you through the whole summer!
Hungry For More Healthy Breads and Muffins? Try One Of These Recipes!
Healthy Brownies (I tell myself these are muffins 😂)
Healthy Lemon Blueberry Bread
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 1 cup packed almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of your choice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice for more lemon flavor, reduce milk by 2T and add an extra 2T of lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon be careful to only get the lemon zest and not the whites of the lemon to avoid bitterness
- 1 cup fresh blueberries frozen works well, too! - coat with a tsp of almond flour to prevent sinking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan or 8x8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oat flour, almond flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together egg, maple syrup, vanilla, almond milk, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth and well combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold blueberries into batter, then pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted come out clean. Let cool.