This comforting Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is the perfect veggie, fiber, and protein packed lunch or dinner for those cold days. This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Confession: this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is a touch out of my comfort zone.
But I made it two weeks in a row, and then made it for a friend. And I kind of want to make it again this second.
I’m officially hooked.
What is Wild Rice?
Apparently wild rice isn’t rice at all – it’s a grass that’s grown in water. Who knew? I didn’t! It’s grown mainly in the midwest and Canada- which makes a lot of sense bc I always think of Wild Rice Soup as midwestern fare! #themoreyouknow
Wild rice is also an awesome carbohydrate choice for the FIX because slightly higher in protein than most whole grains and is a good source of fiber, folate, and magnesium.
Important Note (updated!) – Wild rice can be expensive and a little hard to find, although I had no trouble grabbing it at two of my local stores. A wild rice blend will work in this recipe if that’s all you can find!
Ingredients for Wild Rice Soup
- butter – we used Earth’s best vegan butter to keep this dairy free, but any butter or ghee will do
- diced yellow onion, diced carrots and diced celery – the perfect base for any soup
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced – garlic lovers, feel free to sub more!
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms – if you aren’t a fan of mushrooms, you can dice them up really small or leave them out! (no judging zone here – you do you)
- wild rice rice– I used this brand
- 1lb chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts – I prefer the texture of chicken tenderloins in the Instant Pot
- 4 -5 cups Chicken broth – you can start with less add more at the end if you want to or when reheating
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning – this is usually a mix of thyme, sage, garlic, onion, etc
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme – you can also add rosemary, but I am just not a fan
- 1/3 -2/3 cup canned coconut cream or canned coconut milk – this is a dairy free chicken and rice soup, so I am using canned coconut milk/cream (click to see an example) to make this soup creamy
- 1/2 tsp salt and a sprinkle of black pepper – you can adjust this to your taste
What does Chicken Wild Rice Soup Taste like?
Something about the earthy poultry seasoning and the rustic, nutty wild rice makes this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup feel almost Thanksgiving-ish. And the coconut cream does NOT taste like coconut – but it balances the savory flavors of this soup and gives it just enough buttery creaminess. Perfect with some gluten free crusty bread and maybe a side salad. Or not, because it’s really quite filling! Also, if you want a vegan soup, you can leave the chicken out!
How to make Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- First, saute onion, carrots and celery in some butter. Then add in garlic, rice and mushrooms and saute for an additional minute.
- Next, stir in broth, chicken, and seasonings. This soup will cook on manual for 35 minutes.
- After cook time, do a ten minute natural release before quick releasing the rest of the way, which basically means leave the pot alone for ten minutes after it beeps. If you leave it longer because your kids distracted you, you are still ok.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back in, the stir in the white thick part of the coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking!
Is Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Gluten Free?
This is a gluten-free wild rice soup. First of all, wild rice is naturally gluten free! And I don’t use any flour in this recipe, so yes, this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is 100% gluten-free!
Can I make this Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup without cream or dairy?
Yes! I think this soup is delicious without any dairy! The canned coconut milk gives this soup just enough sweet creamy flavor and, as I said before, you can’t taste any coconut flavor. I use canned coconut milk in my Butternut Squash Soup and my Zuppa Toscana (Instant Pot/ Stove Top) –both are total fan favorites!
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! In full disclosure, my kids wouldn’t try this soup. This is the first time they have seen wild rice, and I couldn’t convince them that it wasn’t burned. I mean???? Anyway, I was able to freeze some for lunches in my Souper Cubes which has been AMAZING! I think it’s time for a restock!
Looking for more Instant Pot Soup recipes? Check these out:
This comforting Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is the perfect veggie, fiber, and protein packed lunch or dinner for those cold days.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups of carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of celery
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup wild rice rice- this was tested with 100% wild rice, not a blend
- 1 1/2lb chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (you can add more at the end if you want to or when reheating)
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup canned coconut cream or canned coconut milk
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add in butter. Saute onion, carrots and celery until fragrant. Add in garlic, rice and mushrooms and saute for an additional minute.
- Stir in broth, chicken, and seasonings. Lock your lid and set Instant Pot for 35 minutes on manual.
- After cook time, do a ten minute natural release before quick releasing the rest of the way.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back in, the stir in the white thick part of the coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Heat butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and saute until fragrant. Add in garlic, rice and mushrooms and saute for an additional minute.
- Stir in broth, chicken, and seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue to simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back in, the stir in the thick white part of the coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Makes 6 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1 YELLOW, 1 GREEN, 1/3 BLUE, 1 TSP (per serving)
WW link for personal points: Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 -1 1/2 cups